Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,887 users have contributed to 42,190 threads and 254,623 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• Do the demo's have added reverb?

I'm listening to some of the demo's, and they have a considerable amount of reverb on some of them. In particular, solo instruments such as vibraphone and oboe have a lot of 'verb on them. Is this verb part of the sample (hard to get out if you want an intimate sound) or has the 'verb been added in the mix of the demo's? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John

• Not sure which demos you are referring too, but the whole VSL sound is typically dry dry dry and I would confidently say that any reverb you are hearing has been added as part of the mixing/mastering of each demo.

Tim

• Thank, Tim

Like on the Horizon Mallets demo called Vibraphone. At 12 seconds in, there is a series of staccato hits that have the sound of a small room following them. I'm wondering if these are the samples themselves (mic'ed from a distance) or if the actual sound is very close and dry and the small room has been added in the mix of the demo. This would be true of most of the other horizon titles/demos.

Thanks,
    John

• John,

as fa as the "official" demos of the Vienna Symphonic Library are concernced my dogma during mixdown was "as much additional reverb as necessary, but only as little as possible". So the actual reverb-trails (the long part) in each demo are added, but most of the airy early reflections (the short initial part) are part of the samples themselves.

IOW: Our instruments are not "dry", but have lots of room, but no reverb that would obscure any of our concepts like true legatos, free positioning and so on.

Many of our user's demos (and our own large-scale pieces, too) have _additional_ early reflections for positioning-cues, though.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Dietz,

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate it!

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, samples of, for instance, the French Oboe would have some room in them rather than you recording the Oboe with very close mics...is that correct? I should look on your website to see if there are any samples for download. For orchestral groups, early reflections can add tremendous realism, but on solo instruments, it would be nice to have the option to put that instrument very close to the listener in a pop mix.

John

• "Close enough for Rock'n'Roll"! [:D]

Sorry, couldn't resist. - Yes, our instruments will fit into the "close" acoustic image of a modern pop-sound very well. But be aware that they are by no means "dry", as all of them are recorded in our Silent Stage -> http://vsl.co.at/en-us/65/72/19.vsl

HTH!

• Just to confirm what Dietz says, I've done pop string arrangements with full sections using performance legato and modwheel crossfades instruments which sound excellent. Because the samples don't have hall reverbs the engineer can place them in a pop mix (where almost everything has it's own effect) however he wants. Thats what's so great about this library: it's incredibly versatile. If you had strings sampled in a hall and even used the close position you still have a hall sound on your samples. So if you want to sound like the room at Capitol Records where Sinatra had those great string sounds you will have a hard time pulling them out of St. Patricks Cathedral or wherever.

• Dave and Dietz,

Yes, I'm sure that the strings and group recordings are perfect for nearly every style of music. I was more in question about the recordings of French Oboe, Solo Strings, Mallets, etc. Does anyone feel that any ambience around them would be so much that you couldn't position them very close to the listener? With a synth, for instance, you can get a mallet sound which is immediate and very close. I'm not so sure about the VSL version of mallets.

Here's a better question. Are there any single samples available for download to check out things like this? Thanks again so much!

John

• John,

VSL instruments can be put in your face with the greatest of ease. In fact it sounds like they're exactly what you're looking for: mallets, solo strings or whatever can be put wherever you want them including up front. VSL woodwinds are recognized as the very best of any sample library btw. Many consider the entire library unrivaled but even those that debate other aspects of the library (mainly the wet vrs dry debate) acknowledge that the woodwinds far outshine any other library.

• last edited
    last edited

@Resonater said:

[...] Here's a better question. Are there any single samples available for download to check out things like this? Thanks again so much!

John

I'm not sure about that (hey, I'm just the sound guy! [;)] ...), but not long ago, there was a demo-CD-ROM available for a small handling fee, around 10 Euro, AFAIR. Lots of material, ready to play. Please write to support@vsl.co.at , our marketing-staff will know better.

• unfortunately the latest demoDVD (2.1) is out of stock (some distributors might have a few left) - we will provide a download for registered user soon (no registered products needed)
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Ok, demo _DVD_ [H] ... silly me ... how could I stand under the impression that a _CD_ could be enough for our needs!