Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• SC - best multiple PC setup

Hi there,

Please help me get my brain cell [H] around this new VI and how I'll best work in it.

I have my host PC running SX and currently have 4 giga slaves to it. I am running MOL CP now and it works perfectly for midi interfacing (slaves are ADAT and spdif locked - this is how I transfer audio now to the Host as well).

Is their a MOL option to have using VI's instead or do I need to go to FXTeleport? Love to stay with MOL if possible (becuase I know this works.)

Thanks for any help you can be getting me ready for this Jan delivery.

Of course any test data from VSL would be the best since you have had this VI for some months - what works the best given my set-up?

Thanks.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

Hi there,

Please help me get my brain cell [H] around this new VI and how I'll best work in it.

I have my host PC running SX and currently have 4 giga slaves to it. I am running MOL CP now and it works perfectly for midi interfacing (slaves are ADAT and spdif locked - this is how I transfer audio now to the Host as well).

Is their a MOL option to have using VI's instead or do I need to go to FXTeleport? Love to stay with MOL if possible (becuase I know this works.)

Thanks for any help you can be getting me ready for this Jan delivery.

Of course any test data from VSL would be the best since you have had this VI for some months - what works the best given my set-up?

Thanks.

Rob

Rob, I would imagine that you can use your current set-up but with multiple instances of VI in a VST host instead of using GS. However, I'm sure that someone official will clarify.

DG

• Very cool DG. That would be ideal.

I guess we will find out more as the date approaches but any idea on how exactly the 'audio out' from a 'slave VI' gets to the host? I can easily see how 'midi' will get to them via MOL.

Would I 'transfer' audio back to the host from these slave VI's (to various channels in the Host SX application) much like I am doing now - via ADAT and spdif?

Thanks again.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

Very cool DG. That would be ideal.

I guess we will find out more as the date approaches but any idea on how exactly the 'audio out' from a 'slave VI' gets to the host? I can easily see how 'midi' will get to them via MOL.

Would I 'transfer' audio back to the host from these slave VI's (to various channels in the Host SX application) much like I am doing now - via ADAT and spdif?

Thanks again.

Rob

Yes, you should be able to work in the exact same way as you do now, only much quicker [:D]

DG

• Hi all,

we are working with MoL, no problems at all. We still have to test FX Teleport, and I can´t see any obstacles so far, as Vienna Instruments behave like every virtual instrument.

More soon.

Best, Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi all,

we are working with MoL, no problems at all. We still have to test FX Teleport, and I can´t see any obstacles so far, as Vienna Instruments behave like every virtual instrument.

More soon.

Best, Paul

Good news Paul. Thanks.

• Hi Rob,

Yes i can clarify. Herb is using the same setup as you. He has as well 4 or 5 "ex" Gigamachines and 1 machine with Cubase SX3. He is using VST-Stack for his VI's. To get the audio to the hostmachine he is using a Yamaha 01V 96 (all cahannels over ADAT).

Regards
    Bernd

• last edited
    last edited

@Air said:

Hi Rob,

Yes i can clarify. Herb is using the same setup as you. He has as well 4 or 5 "ex" Gigamachines and 1 machine with Cubase SX3. He is using VST-Stack for his VI's. To get the audio to the hostmachine he is using a Yamaha 01V 96 (all cahannels over ADAT).

Regards
    Bernd

I am thinking of using (for getting ADAT and audio over) the MOTU 2408 Mark III audio system. I like the specs. Anyone else using this?

Becuase of this VI release, I am going to replace my HOST (make my current HOST the '4th' slave.)

The new SX host spec (any comments). I'll be running the new VI, SX, plugs, etc.

Dual Core 3.2 ghz
    Raid (2 300 GB drives)
    Maxtor P750 (three monitors - third for film monitor)
    4 gig Ram

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

• Yes, I use a MONA by ECHO and a MOTU 828 MK II on 1 PC.
    I use the ADAT to get every thing stay inside just 1 PC and I have the analog INS of MONA for my Elec. Piano- my Moog and MICrophone. I use the ADAT outs to get into the MOTU and back into the ECHO MONA.
    From the MOTU I use the analog out for the audio monitors.
    It's maybe a little complicated at first but I can run 3 analog devices with their original sounds together with Gigastudio and stand alone synths and record them all with Audition 1.5 all with just 1 PC.
    The MOTU is very good I don't like the software mixer so much and the one for the stand alone feature is a bit tricky but very useful.
    wit thhe 1204 it shouldn't be so different.
    Ciao
    Sergio

• That's a '2408 mark III' - right. Same issues? Good?

• I just bought two 64bit machines the very day that VI was anounced. I was planning to run Giga 3 and eventually giga 4 on the second machine. Now, if I decide to run VI instead of, say, the Pro Edition, Could I run some of the SC on my host computer just like any VST, and more of it on my second computer using V-Stack? Could I place my remaining GS libraries on that second computer and run GS and V-stack alternately getting audio and MIDI back to my main Sonar/Sibelius DAW through my WaveCenter PCI as a stop-gap until I get a Hammerfall or something?
    Kevin

• hi rob - we use 2408mk3s with wavecenter pci cards and its all rock solid. i'm not sure there isn't a less expensive solution though - just haven't had time to really explore software solutions. what is it fx teleport and midioverlan? if you're going the hardware route though, the only other considerations are whether you want firewire capability which adds some flexability if you want to use it between different rigs or remotely and the 2408's lack of mic pres. we tried using a motu 828 in tandem but by the time the host buffer multiplier in Digital Performer is doubled to work with the 2408s the latency is a little too much. now we just use the 828 connected to a powerbook and lightpipe it back to a 2408 or use a separate pre. if you don't need them and don't mind forgoing the flexibility of firewire, the 2408 is hard to beat and can easily be expanded. we just picked up another expansion box on ebay for $450 a few days ago.

• last edited
    last edited

@Martin Bayless said:

hi rob - we use 2408mk3s with wavecenter pci cards and its all rock solid. i'm not sure there isn't a less expensive solution though - just haven't had time to really explore software solutions. what is it fx teleport and midioverlan? if you're going the hardware route though, the only other considerations are whether you want firewire capability which adds some flexability if you want to use it between different rigs or remotely and the 2408's lack of mic pres. we tried using a motu 828 in tandem but by the time the host buffer multiplier in Digital Performer is doubled to work with the 2408s the latency is a little too much. now we just use the 828 connected to a powerbook and lightpipe it back to a 2408 or use a separate pre. if you don't need them and don't mind forgoing the flexibility of firewire, the 2408 is hard to beat and can easily be expanded. we just picked up another expansion box on ebay for $450 a few days ago.

Thanks Martin for your feedback. I have a nice Presonas MP20 for mic pres and I was thinking to route that to the 2408's via 1/4".

What about the 2408's 'colorization' of the signal - do you hear any of that? Or is it pretty clean, flat signal?

Thanks again.

Rob

• as far as colorization, i can't really say for sure. mixes are translating well though so i imagine its minimal if anything. perhaps someone else could provide more info, if not here, over at osxaudio.com or unicornation.com.

one thing to bear in mind is that there are three sections to the 2408 such that if one is used for analog i/o, it is lost to lightpipe. in other words you could have either three lightpipe feeds, or two lightpipes and one analog, but not both at the same time. kind of sucks but it is easy to switch it (in software thru a thing motu calls the pci audio console) if that works for you.

• last edited
    last edited

@Martin Bayless said:

as far as colorization, i can't really say for sure. mixes are translating well though so i imagine its minimal if anything. perhaps someone else could provide more info, if not here, over at osxaudio.com or unicornation.com.

one thing to bear in mind is that there are three sections to the 2408 such that if one is used for analog i/o, it is lost to lightpipe. in other words you could have either three lightpipe feeds, or two lightpipes and one analog, but not both at the same time. kind of sucks but it is easy to switch it (in software thru a thing motu calls the pci audio console) if that works for you.

Thanks Martin. That should still work for me. I'll have 5 PC's hooked up to two boxes(240[H] - which would have 6 total lightpipe in/out's. This will give me an extra analogue in/out for the external Roland SRV 330 verb (still really love that verb). Since I will not have MIR yet and no longer be using GP - I am hoping this covers that for a while. What do you think? Will this plan work?

Rob

• yup, i think you'll love it. you probably know this already but if not, the expander boxes are identical to the main ones just without the pci card (which you'll only need one of - at least for now. funny how once everything fills up, something comes along the next weekt to make you want another). by the way, how are you handling the monitors and cabling, kvm or is there a software option?

• Gentle,en,
    Excuse my ignorance. What is MIR and what is GP?
    Kevin

• Hey there, in essense GP is 'Gigapulse' and MIR (Multiple IR's) for the new VSL VI.

Martin, right now I am running a 4 station KVM switch for the 4 VI PC's (one 19" monitor). For the Host I am running 2 - 19" screens for SX and a third screen (Direct show) for video playback (using the P750 Matrox card.)

Rob

• Rob,
    I'm still an idiot. What's IR?
    Kevin

• last edited
    last edited

@kevjazz said:

What's IR?

IR = Impulse Response. It's a technique to sample the reverb of a room, enabling you to digitially apply the same reverb to any audio signal. Google on "convolution reverb" or check out MIR on VSL's homepage to learn more.
    Regards, Nils