Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,766 users have contributed to 42,181 threads and 254,575 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• The Player on more than one computer?

Firstly, I want to congratulate the many people working so hard at VSL H-Q. In watching the tutorials it is clear that the achievements that have been made are far-reaching and momentous.

I just had a quick question about the new VSL player. In the past, we VSL users have had the option to have the VSL samples on as many computers as we wished – for instance, a few GigaStudio PCs, or, as within Logic, on a desktop and laptop. Will we still be able to do this?

What I would like to do, and this is but one reason why I am so pleased by the new VSL player, is have the option to be way more mobile than I have been in the past. As you might imagine, there are times when edits for say a play could have been made in rehearsal, that is, if I had the full library on two external hard-drives with a laptop. As well, later, at home, working on a desktop, which has more power, RAM, etceteras.

Thanks for your input. I am sure you have a million things happening at once.

Once again congratulations and well done.

Jordan

• The most viable solution presented so far for a multiple PC setup appears to be using something like FX Teleport in conjunction with a VST host (like VStack, Forte, or Bidule.)

As far as licensing goes. The only hurdle there would be purchasing extra dongles in which to install your keys necessary to activate the player. They're not expensive at all and I think can be purchased from just about any online music retailer that sells Cubase or Halion as they use the same copy protection driver.

• this liscening issue needs to be resolved!! HOW MANY COMPUTERS CAN WE RUN A LIBARAY ON AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST IF THERE IS A SIDE LICENSE?? herb anyone??

• >>HOW MANY COMPUTERS CAN WE RUN A LIBARAY ON AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST IF THERE IS A SIDE LICENSE??>>

Normally writing all capital letters is not very welcome here I think - nobody likes to be shouted at.

Well, I would say about €30 euro as long as you do not have enough dongles. The lib (each lib I think - maybe even the normal an extended) is protected with a dongle (the same as Steinberg products or the korg legacy instruments) and so you would need one dongle for every computer you want to run on the lib on simultaneously. as you can transfer licenses to one dongle to another easily, it is no problem to switch computers. (of course you could also move the dongle).

This is what I gathered from another thread here from Herb or Dietz.

I did not gather if the instruments comes with a dongle - but I do not think so.

hope that helps,

best

• When you buy a Vienna Instruments collection, of course you also get a dongle for your license. And once you register at VSL, you get the key for a 30-day demo license of the Extended Library.

Cheers,
    d.

• I've just found out, that Best Service have the Symphonic Cube already on their website, and the price for extra dongles is also shown there (19 €):

http://www.bestservice.de/detail.asp/de/instrument_classic_complete_oorchestra/vsl_symphonic_cube/129207a62p178p22p128

best
    Herb

• Am I correct then, that you dont get a dongle automaticly but must order that seperately. If thats the case, be sure to inform people buying it from your website. I know I would explode if I finaly got VSL but could not use it becuase I was unaware that I needed to order a dongle seperately, and had to wait 3 days for them to send it to me [:)]

• [:)] yes i was screaming because we have about 50 post going on about the same topic: pricing. so if all you have to do is get another dongle thats certainly sounds ok.

• last edited
    last edited

@mike harper said:

[:)] yes i was screaming because we have about 50 post going on about the same topic: pricing. so if all you have to do is get another dongle thats certainly sounds ok.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if my understanding is wrong but the only purpose of having more than 1 dongle is if you want to split the library. By this I mean use strings on 1 computer and brass on another. I don't think any part of the library will exist on 2 dongles at the same time under a single licence. Can someone clearly confirm this? Herb?

While we're talking dongles I do have a couple of serious reservations. I was mixing some stuff that was due on a plane with just 4 hours to go. I did a re-launch of Logic and got an ominous "please enter your xs key code" I immediately rebooted, repaired permissions and the dongle came back on line .. phew but you only have to scan the forums to see this sort of thing is an issue.

Secondly Auto-tune has moved to a dongle and now I find I'm double dongled with Logic and iLok. Now if I wanted to review mixes while I was out and about on my power book I would have to resort to a hub (good grief!) to get triple dongled up.

hhmm. any possibility of getting either Logic and VSL on a single dongle or VSL on iLOK?

Finally will saving as a project in Logic work with VI. I often like to save a complete session (with samples) to access on a different computer - in another studio. As long as there is a VSL dongle present with the correct licences will this work?

Julian

• Hi Mike,

you're right, you only have to acquire an extra dongle if you want to run Collections on more than one computer at once. You don't have to order an extra dongle if you don't need more than the one that comes with your purchase.

Since Syncrosoft licenses can be transferred from one dongle to another, it should be possible to have all the licenses you need on a single dongle.

When you're using VI as a VST/AU plugin, all settings are saved together with the song or project. So basically you just need to take your harddisk with the VI data, a copy of your piece, and the dongle to work on another computer.

Cheers, d.

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

[...] Now if I wanted to review mixes while I was out and about on my power book I would have to resort to a hub (good grief!) to get triple dongled up. [...] Julian

Julian, I completly understand your grief. There were times when I had five different dongles attached to my main computer (both USB and LPT) [H]. Today they are USB only, and like you suggested, I bought a small hub as kind of "meta-dongle", on which all my keys reside now.

It's a major PITA, I know - but piracy has forced us (like almost all other software developers) to go this route, too. Sorry to say so - there's no other solution.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Sorry to beat a dead horse here [[;)]] , but I just want to be certain about the dongles. If we purchase the extended addition, we can install it on as many computers as we like provided that we have a dongle on each computer. Is this correct?[[:|]]

Best,

Kevin

• Hi Kevin,

I am still awiting a response regarding this question - see earlier post. I think there is confusion with VSL talking about extra dongles on more than 1 computer but I suspect they are reffering to splitting the packages up - strings on one say and brass on another - not strings on 2 at the same time.

Julian

• Exactly, Julian,

you can use 1 license on 1 key, and you can move these licenses, but you will always have 1 for each instrument.

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

Hi Kevin,

I am still awiting a response regarding this question - see earlier post. I think there is confusion with VSL talking about extra dongles on more than 1 computer but I suspect they are reffering to splitting the packages up - strings on one say and brass on another - not strings on 2 at the same time.

Julian

However, as there are 4 different string packages, I'm assuming that Cubers will have 4 dongles; plenty to go around [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Exactly, Julian,

you can use 1 license on 1 key, and you can move these licenses, but you will always have 1 for each instrument.

I have my Pro edition and horizon bits installed on four computers.
    Typically, when working on strings for example, I will use one computer for violins and violas and another for cellos and basses. I take it this division of labour will no longer be allowed on the forthcoming VI.

• What could we do with 2 dongle keys ?

Thanks

• 'Stereo Dongling'.

Regards,

Alex.

[H]

• Hi Ian,

you would use four dongles and on 1 of them you have your violins and violas and on another one you have your cellos and basses. And you can always move licences from one dongle to the next one.... but there will always be 1 license for each instrument only.

Best, Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul, how many dongles do we get by default if we order the Full Symphonic Cube? 1,2, 4? Not sure if its been asked before.

TIA