Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,986 users have contributed to 42,198 threads and 254,643 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• using the repition tool with Solo Strings

I recently purchased the horizon Solo Strings. Though I am very impressed with the samples, the instructions on how to use the tools is virtually non-existent. Could someone point me to a document that teaches the use of the repetition tool? I have to admit I am pretty confused about how to use it and there is not very good coverage of it in either the solo string manual or the tool manual.

Maybe a good explanation exists somewhere and I have just missed it, if so, I apologize, but I can't seem to find a good comprehensive guide to the use of the repetition function.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Hello Mike,

there are several ways to find out how to use the Repetition Mode, hereĀ“s tw of them:

1) Our Video Tutorial is one of them, please watch the previews here:

http://vsl.co.at/en-us/211/311/182.vsl

2) HerbĀ“s Pro Edition tutorials: http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=630

The trick with the Repetition Mode is that you trigger each repetition note yourself, note by note. AND: you have to play faster than the originally recorded repetition. Try it with legato repetitions (5 reps to play). And please remember that you can only exit the repetition with the last originally played note, so keep watching the Style Display of the Repetition Mode, as you play.

You have to play around a bit, but once you got it, please read the Manual again and it will all be clear. ItĀ“s just a new concept.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • The DVD is maybe not too helpfull. As far as I think and with the biggest respect to the fantastic work of the whole VSL Team.

Stephan Kanyar

• last edited
    last edited
    This didn't really help me very much. Surely there must be someone who has had experience with using the repetition tool who could submit an adequate and thorough explanation of its use. Why do we have to buy a tutorial after having spent (in my case) thousands of dollars over the years on samples. Could the company not provide adequate and thorough documentation with the product?

I don't want to sound offensive, but I find this unacceptable.

Mike

@Paul said:

Hello Mike,

there are several ways to find out how to use the Repetition Mode, hereĀ“s tw of them:

1) Our Video Tutorial is one of them, please watch the previews here:

http://vsl.co.at/en-us/211/311/182.vsl

2) HerbĀ“s Pro Edition tutorials: http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=630

The trick with the Repetition Mode is that you trigger each repetition note yourself, note by note. AND: you have to play faster than the originally recorded repetition. Try it with legato repetitions (5 reps to play). And please remember that you can only exit the repetition with the last originally played note, so keep watching the Style Display of the Repetition Mode, as you play.

You have to play around a bit, but once you got it, please read the Manual again and it will all be clear. ItĀ“s just a new concept.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Astro, we had lucky and satisfied users of our Performance Tool long before the DVD was made; so all the info seems to be there. We really don't urge you to buy something additionally ... as a matter of fact, given the enormous amount of work that went into this DVD, we would rather live without it. Its price doesn't cover its costs even remotely.

Most people who are already _using_ the Performance Tool will tell you that it's best to read the manual and play around a bit to catch the drift.

All the best,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Astro,

Let me first give you a short explanation on how the Repetition Modes mapping and algorythms are designed.

For the Repetition Mode, we recorded sequences of up to 9 repeatedly played notes in several tempi, cut them (a little like what you would do with f.i. Recycle, but a little more intricate...), furnished the slices with dynamic crossfades and mapped them into Perf_Rep_ programs. So each sample, except the first one of the repetitions of course, has the little transition "tail" up front from the previous note in order to sound realistic when played in a sequence.

ThatĀ“s also why you can play the Perf_Rep_ instruments only at faster tempi than the ones indicated in the file name, because when you hold the key down too long or play too slow, the Tool automatically triggers the next sample in line.

The Matrix of the the Repetition Tools editor enables you to set different amounts of repetitions, the maximum being the 5 or 9 we initially recorded (but you can still "daisychain" the 12 lines of the Matrix, you just wonĀ“t get more variations of the sounds!). Being in a digital environment, we decided the value 1 for enabled (= play) and 0 for disabled (= doesnĀ“t play) seemed appropriate.

That means that if you want to let for instance the violin play a phrase like "tah-tah-tah-taah" in tempo 65 BpM, you would select the instrument VI_leg-rep5_4-58_f

In the Repetion Tool editors Matrix, you should set something like 1 0 1 1 1, which gives you 4 continous repetitions (you still have to play them first, though...!) - basically, you may set to 0 whichever step you desire except for the first one, which is the initial "first" tone in the row with the natural attack, and the last one, which is the last note of the repetition that has the natural release tail at its end. The exception to this is when you have other articulations like a legato instrument playing a phrase and you only want a couple of repetitions in between without the attack of the first or the release of the last repetition.

The Keyswitch function gives you the possibility to play different amounts of repetitions with a single Perf_Rep_ instrument.

I hope this explanation helps you to use your Performance Tool to its full potential!

Best, Marnix

• The other way to use the repetition samples without a performance tool is to manually insert keyswitches just before each repeated note. In the gigastudio editor or quick-edit, you can see which keyswitch calls which sample. For many notes, depending on your sequencer, this can be automated pretty easily. I use Sonar, which has something called "CAL", a primitive language that can add a keyswitch note before each repetition note. (Though I don't do it, because the repetition patches are so memory intensive they hog too much gigastudio sample space). Someday I'll edit the programs to delete the long string of unused repetitions in each sample.