Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,452 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,079 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 60 new user(s).

• Enabling the GPU on MIR Pro 3D cause Reaper to instantly crash!!

Hi all,

I'm trying the demo of Mir Pro 3D with Powerhouse installed. I'm using it on Reaper 7.03.

I open a new project, open an instance on an empty track, load a venue, enable the GPU -> Reaper crashes, instantly, every time.

I have an RTX 4090 with the latest drivers installed.

Luckily I'm trying the demo...

Do you have the same issue? I hope it will be solved before my 30 days expires.

• last edited
    last edited

@DANIELE-ES said:

Hi all,

I'm trying the demo of Mir Pro 3D with Powerhouse installed. I'm using it on Reaper 7.03.

I open a new project, open an instance on an empty track, load a venue, enable the GPU -> Reaper crashes, instantly, every time.

Hi DANIELE-ES, thanks for sharing this issue with us. We'd appreciate it if you could submit a crash report to VSL so we can have a look at what's going on exactly.

In the meantime, can you also share your system specs (CPU model, GPU driver version, OS version etc?).

I have my laptop with Intel Core i9 and RTX 4090, and I tested Reaper for both Windows 11 and Windows 10 22H2, and it works well. Please note that we don't support Windows 10 earlier than this version since Microsoft officially doesn't support this either.

Also, if you have any non-standard paths for your software, this might be an issue, too. Please try reinstalling your MIR Pro 3D software completely, it might run the installer and do the clean path installation steps that might help resolving the issue.

• @Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

Hi all,

Hi DANIELE-ES, thanks for sharing this issue with us. We'd appreciate it if you could submit a crash report to VSL so we can have a look at what's going on exactly.

In the meantime, can you also share your system specs (CPU model, GPU driver version, OS version etc?).

I have my laptop with Intel Core i9 and RTX 4090, and I tested Reaper for both Windows 11 and Windows 10 22H2, and it works well. Please note that we don't support Windows 10 earlier than this version since Microsoft officially doesn't support this either.

Also, if you have any non-standard paths for your software, this might be an issue, too. Please try reinstalling your MIR Pro 3D software completely, it might run the installer and do the clean path installation steps that might help resolving the issue.

Hi Sasha,

thank you for replying.

I'm not in my studio but once I will in a few hours I'll provide the required information.

In the meantime I can provide my specs except for the Windows 10 version I don't remember actually (I think it is the last one available because I keep my system updated):

• CPU i9 10940X
    • GPU RTX 4090 with the 546.01 driver
    • RAM 128 GB

I don't think other specs are relevant but If you need other info let me know. The software is installed on an SSD in the default path. The venues are not in the default path instead and maybe this could be the issue beacuse I tried to enable the GPU before loading the venues in the first test and Reaper didn't crash.

I must say that Reaper crashes but Mir Pro 3D don't, it stays open and running.

I'd like to ask some more questions:

1. About the crash report what kind of info do you need? Do you need the Event Viewer info about the crash?
    2. To install the venues in the default path should I uninstall them completely and re-download re-install them?
    3. If I close the Mir Pro 3D windows it closes also Reaper, can the window be minimized or closed without closing Reaper? Once I setup the space with all my instruments I'd like not to see it anymore just to have free space for other things on my displays.

Thank you.

• @DANIELE-ES said:

@Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

Hi all,

Hi Sasha,

thank you for replying.

I'm not in my studio but once I will in a few hours I'll provide the required information.

In the meantime I can provide my specs except for the Windows 10 version I don't remember actually (I think it is the last one available because I keep my system updated):

• CPU i9 10940X

• RAM 128 GB

I don't think other specs are relevant but If you need other info let me know. The software is installed on an SSD in the default path. The venues are not in the default path instead and maybe this could be the issue beacuse I tried to enable the GPU before loading the venues in the first test and Reaper didn't crash.

1. About the crash report what kind of info do you need? Do you need the Event Viewer info about the crash?

1. To install the venues in the default path should I uninstall them completely and re-download re-install them?

1. If I close the Mir Pro 3D windows it closes also Reaper, can the window be minimized or closed without closing Reaper? Once I setup the space with all my instruments I'd like not to see it anymore just to have free space for other things on my displays.

Thank you.

Hi DANIELE-ES, it seems that the crash goes because of the Reaper local settings,

1. I see you have the DAW crashing, not the MIR Pro 3D. Can you please try any other DAW with MIR Pro 3D with GPU mode activated and share the result?

2. Yes, please! Please do this in case the 1st step will not work for any new DAW (try Nuendo trial or something else).

3. It should work, and this is VSL's functionality, we don't do a thing with the GUI, we just implemented convolutions as the external add-on + some magic to enable GPU for it. I think you may ask moderators about that.

• @Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

@Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

Hi all,

Hi Sasha,

thank you for replying.

• CPU i9 10940X

• RAM 128 GB

1. To install the venues in the default path should I uninstall them completely and re-download re-install them?

1. If I close the Mir Pro 3D windows it closes also Reaper, can the window be minimized or closed without closing Reaper? Once I setup the space with all my instruments I'd like not to see it anymore just to have free space for other things on my displays.

Thank you.

Hi DANIELE-ES, it seems that the crash goes because of the Reaper local settings,

1. I see you have the DAW crashing, not the MIR Pro 3D. Can you please try any other DAW with MIR Pro 3D with GPU mode activated and share the result?

2. Yes, please! Please do this in case the 1st step will not work for any new DAW (try Nuendo trial or something else).

3. It should work, and this is VSL's functionality, we don't do a thing with the GUI, we just implemented convolutions as the external add-on + some magic to enable GPU for it. I think you may ask moderators about that.

About point 1. and 2. I don't have any other DAW installed, I'll see what I can do about it. Maybe I could try to install the venues in the default path before trying another DAW. Reaper It has worked well for many years and rock solid on my system with tons of plugins I use daily so I don't think it is a DAW problem. I'll let you know once I moved the venues.

About point 3. I remeber that I read a pop-up where Mir said to me that if I close the window also the DAW will close so it is a feature, not a bug. I must understand how the software works. Consider that for now I only had time to do a quick test, I must solve the crash problem first.

• @DANIELE-ES said:

@Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

@Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

Hi all,

Hi Sasha,

thank you for replying.

• CPU i9 10940X

• RAM 128 GB

Thank you.

About point 1. and 2. I don't have any other DAW installed, I'll see what I can do about it. Maybe I could try to install the venues in the default path before trying another DAW. Reaper It has worked well for many years and rock solid on my system with tons of plugins I use daily so I don't think it is a DAW problem. I'll let you know once I moved the venues.

About point 3. I remeber that I read a pop-up where Mir said to me that if I close the window also the DAW will close so it is a feature, not a bug. I must understand how the software works. Consider that for now I only had time to do a quick test, I must solve the crash problem first.

Gotcha.

Another suggestion is, to install another (older) version of Reaper but a portable one, with all the settings re-set in this version (so you can have your main version untouched), and try this one instead.

• @Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

@Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

@Sasha-T said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

Hi all,

Hi Sasha,

thank you for replying.

• CPU i9 10940X

• RAM 128 GB

Thank you.

Gotcha.

Another suggestion is, to install another (older) version of Reaper but a portable one, with all the settings re-set in this version (so you can have your main version untouched), and try this one instead.

Oh you are right, I could try with a portable version maybe the last V6.xx available. I should take it as a good practice for testing purposes.

• @DANIELE-ES said:

That's correct - the MIR Server app must not be closed, as it is connected to the host (your DAW). Of course, you can minimize it to hide the MIR GUI. Doing that does not minimize (or close) the DAW. I just checked here with the latest build of Reaper on a Windows 11 system, to validate.

VSL Team | Product Specialist & Media Editing
  • @Andreas8420 said:

@DANIELE-ES said:

That's correct - the MIR Server app must not be closed, as it is connected to the host (your DAW). Of course, you can minimize it to hide the MIR GUI. Doing that does not minimize (or close) the DAW. I just checked here with the latest build of Reaper on a Windows 11 system, to validate.

Ok, thank you for the clarification. Now I have to solve the crash issue and I'm good to go.

• last edited
    last edited

Here we are, I tried with a portable clean version of Reaper (all default), an older one, same behavior. Definitely not a DAW fault.

It crashes both with VST and VST3 version of the plugin.

The event viewer shows "Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll" as the cause of the crash. Always the same for all the crashes, both with my custom version of Reaper and the clean one.

I'm on Windows 10 22H2.

EDIT

Oh I forgot to say I tried without loading any venue, so I don't think the problem is in the folder where the venues are located.

• Hi! Please send us the crash report to support@vsl.co.at so that our developers can look at what's happening. Thank you!

• @Andreas8420 said:

Hi! Please send us the crash report to support@vsl.co.at so that our developers can look at what's happening. Thank you!

Do you mean the event viewer report or should I get some log in some way?

Thank you.

• last edited
    last edited

I uninstalled the venues and reinstalled them in the default folder, same problem with and without a venue loaded.

The problem seems related to Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package because the ucrtbase.dll is the dynamic link library file associated with it.

I hope I will be able to test this plugin before the demo/sale time is out. I sent a report to support as you asked.

EDIT

This is what a Reaper dev said in an older post I found doing some research: Those crashes all indicate ucrtbase.dll, which is a run-time library that is not used by REAPER. It is most likely a plugin crashing, or the system simply running out of resources.

• I did another little test, if I run the plugin in Reaper as "Separate Process" or "Dedicated Process" only the plugin crashes, without crashing Reaper of course. This make me think that is a plugin fault and not a Reaper fault.

• Thanks, our developers will have a look at the crash report.

• Hi @DANIELE-ES, we appreciate the time you spent on creating this report, it will help us resolve the issue! stand by and follow the updates in Vienna Assistant.

• @Andreas8420 said:

Thanks, our developers will have a look at the crash report.

@Sasha-T said:

Hi @DANIELE-ES, we appreciate the time you spent on creating this report, it will help us resolve the issue! stand by and follow the updates in Vienna Assistant.

Thank you,

I'll wait for you then.

• I remember seeing a review of the M1/M2 chips and the reviewer ran stuff on several different DAWs and Reaper was the only one that took advantage of the GPU cores. I wonder if it's the same case in Windows and it's maxing out those resources?

• last edited
    last edited

@winknotes_282 said:

I remember seeing a review of the M1/M2 chips and the reviewer ran stuff on several different DAWs and Reaper was the only one that took advantage of the GPU cores. I wonder if it's the same case in Windows and it's maxing out those resources?

From what I know Reaper doesn't use GPU resources and an RTX 4090 should be enough anyway.

• Here's a little update: the developers seem to not be able to reproduce my issue and no matter what I do it crashes every single time instantly. I have no other problems in other softwares I use, I really don't understand what is going on.

1. I have no antivirus enabled: still crashes;
    2. I have it allowed on the firewall: still crashes;
    3. I reinstalled Mir Pro 3D: still crashes;
    4. I reinstalled the video drivers: still crashes;
    5. I installed the Windows SDK: still crashes;
    6. I tried with other ASIO drivers (I really don't know what to do): still crashes.

In summary: still crashes, there's nothing I can do.

The only solution I found in a similar recent problem from another user is that the developers of that plugin fixed the issue.