Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,985 users have contributed to 42,372 threads and 255,397 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 76 new user(s).

• Cubase freezing when doing render-in-place in combination with VEPro 7

I encountered a strange issue recently and I'm wondering if anyone has seen it before and knows of a resolution?

Here's my setup:

a bunch of MIDI tracks in Cubase 11 --> 3xVEPro 7 instances hosting multiple Synchron Player tracks each (mixed down in VEPro) --> 2xStereo channel return to Cubase

Whenver I try to render-in-place on a single MIDI track in Cubase it works, I get two new audio channels of the rendered audio just as you'd expect (one for each stereo return from VEPro). However, if I try to render-in-place on multiple MIDI tracks at once, Cubase freezes/crashes after rendering the first track and gets stuck forever.

This is a weird problem because previously I was able to render multiple tracks this way no problem. The only difference I can think of is that I have 2 stereo channels coming from VEPro now instead of just one? 

Has anyone seen this before and know of a fix?

• Ah so I've uncovered a few more details this morning. The problem I'm running into isn't due to mulitple return tracks like I had thought, in fact it has to do with whether or not I 

• select multiple MIDI clips/parts and export those across multiple tracks
      vs.
    • select multiple tracks (but not individual parts)

The second way works, the first way doesn't. I'm guessing it's a Cubase 11 bug and nothing to do with VEPro although it's odd that either method of selecting tracks or parts works if I host VST local to my Cubase projects, but not when hosting them in VEPro.

Anyway, I just wanted to leave the follow up here in case anyone finds this thread because they come across the same problem.

• @blaggins said:

Ah so I've uncovered a few more details this morning. The problem I'm running into isn't due to mulitple return tracks like I had thought, in fact it has to do with whether or not I

• select multiple MIDI clips/parts and export those across multiple tracks
      vs.

• select multiple tracks (but not individual parts)

The second way works, the first way doesn't. I'm guessing it's a Cubase 11 bug and nothing to do with VEPro although it's odd that either method of selecting tracks or parts works if I host VST local to my Cubase projects, but not when hosting them in VEPro.

Anyway, I just wanted to leave the follow up here in case anyone finds this thread because they come across the same problem.

Yeah it's very frustrating with Cubase and VEP7. I run multpile instruments with 16 midi channels, 16 tracks of stereo outputs and when I try to render multiple tracks it freezes. So I have to do one at a time Imagine how much time is being waisted doing this wiht 40+ tracks. I wish these two companies would work toghter to work out these issues.

• I can confirm a similar issue when rendering audio on Cubase 12 Pro, with current VEPro 7 version. It doesn't freeze, but it takes a lot of time to start the rendering status bar. Afterwards, it takes a lot of time again to wake and ready to use. Hope you can figure out why is this happening.

• A quick update about this issue.

It seems that the rendering speed is related to the buffer size of the audio interface.

I tried to go from 512 to 1024 samples, and the rendering time got faster. Not sure why this happens nor of it makes sense, because I thought the audio rendering was just CPU related.

@Guin said:

I can confirm a similar issue when rendering audio on Cubase 12 Pro, with current VEPro 7 version. It doesn't freeze, but it takes a lot of time to start the rendering status bar. Afterwards, it takes a lot of time again to wake and ready to use. Hope you can figure out why is this happening.

• @Guin said:

A quick update about this issue.

It seems that the rendering speed is related to the buffer size of the audio interface.

I tried to go from 512 to 1024 samples, and the rendering time got faster. Not sure why this happens nor of it makes sense, because I thought the audio rendering was just CPU related.

@Guin said:

I can confirm a similar issue when rendering audio on Cubase 12 Pro, with current VEPro 7 version. It doesn't freeze, but it takes a lot of time to start the rendering status bar. Afterwards, it takes a lot of time again to wake and ready to use. Hope you can figure out why is this happening.

I allwyas render at the highest. I'm doing 2048. Also I found to keep it from crashing i'm disabling Asio-Guard in Vst Instruments just for Vienna Ensemble Pro.