Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,855 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,939 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• @cinematicpop said:
    It seems though, with the "default" mode, that there is no panning applied and the microphones all show no volume differences between L/R

Is it you who asked a similar question on VI Control just recently ...?

Of course, only the main stereo microphone pairs reveal the "natural" panning with the typical differences in volume, timing and timbre. However, all close and mid layer microphones are aimed at a group or a specific instrument, and they are often mono anyway. This is where panning comes into play. 😊

On a more philosophical note, there is no "natural" sound in audio recording, just as there is no "natural photo" or "natural movie". The choice of tools, their position, the spatial relationship between subject and listener/viewer (i.e. camera or microphone) is always an artistic decision (even if it is an unconscious one). And that's before we even talk about any kind of editing/shaping/sculpturing with a technical or an artistic intention.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @Dietz said:
    @cinematicpop said:
    It seems though, with the "default" mode, that there is no panning applied and the microphones all show no volume differences between L/R

Is it you who asked a similar question on VI Control just recently ...?

Of course, only the main stereo microphone pairs reveal the "natural" panning with the typical differences in volume, timing and timbre. However, all close and mid layer microphones are aimed at a group or a specific instrument, and they are often mono anyway. This is where panning comes into play. 😊

On a more philosophical note, there is no "natural" sound in audio recording, just as there is no "natural photo" or "natural movie". The choice of tools, their position, the spatial relationship between subject and listener/viewer (i.e. camera or microphone) is always an artistic decision (even if it is an unconscious one). And that's before we even talk about any kind of editing/shaping/sculpturing with a technical or an artistic intention.

Yes, I asked on VIC as well - I was trying to cover my bases to find an answer

I appreciate your response as it cleared things up for me

I am learning as I go and appreciate all the assistance along the way with my newbie questions

I love writing music but the technical aspects and the virtually boundless audio parameters involved in getting the sound in my head into the DAW and routed properly in a library overwhelm me at times

Thank you again for helping light the way