Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,911 users have contributed to 42,263 threads and 254,948 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• Errikos, please do not start doubting the worthiness of your posts here! If they help even one reader break through clouded thoughts or want of clear self-direction, and who perhaps then goes on to write truly wonderful music, then your words here are pure gold - no matter that due credit is rarely if ever forthcoming in such cases.

I packed up researching modern philosophy many years ago, mainly because it's all so heavily strewn with fool's gold. The time and effort involved in digging through the glistering crap in the hope of finding the odd nugget of real gold here and there were just not worthwhile. But given that truth is Champagne for me, I'm delighted by the quality and quantity of my favourite tipple on offer here, and you're one of the top purveyors!

(And I bloody well hope you get properly serious about also writing literature for profit, sooner rather than later.)

• Macker: Thank you for the much appreciated hyperbole. Incidentally, I cannot even imagine how people get degrees in philosophy these days, but if it is anything like what happens with music...

I am also touched you remembered my recent proclivity to writing I mentioned scantily some time ago. Since it is a collection of short stories I am penning together, perhaps you'd care to glance at one or two, once they are finished...

• Errikos, I'd be happy to do that for you. Glad to hear you're advancing on that front.

When you eventually have a couple of stories ready, PM me an email address and I'll email you back.

• Errikos,

what a great post indeed.

As always everything you said makes perfect sense. 

When it comes to craft I always think of a chair. Will I ever venture out to make a chair on my own not knowing anything about it? Maybe I am a genius to whom chair making comes naturally. A simple as a chair looks, if I stick four pieces of wood and a bunch of planks with no matter how much care and effort, the product will be miserable and may not even be stable. On the other hand, maybe a short course on carpentry can allow me to construct a chair on which someone can sit down without falling, although it wont be as comfortable as a chair made by a carpenter with lifelong professional experience. 

In the same way one can learn the basics of music (given some basic musical aptitude, ear) to write a piece with  form, even though it may not turn out to be masterpiece, it will still "stand" on its own. And boy is it glaringly obvious when a person has not learnt their craft.

And there are these geniuses who have some kind of innate musical ability that cannot be taught. But you correctly pointed out that even that is no excuse for not learning craft.

And then there is a third kind of artist who both has the craft and the genius. 

When I listen to a Haydn symphony, it is like looking at a chair made by a lifelong professional...all the elements are there and it is stable and complete in form. There is a satisfaction inherent in hearing that structure. But with Mozart there is the additional element of spark. I can live with Haydn's music for a long time as the form is so satisfying:)

Anand

• Anand: Thank you, I'm glad you found the post valuable. 

Even a musical genius absolutely needs craft for art-music for there are many aspects and parameters that have nothing to do with inspiration and talent. It's exactly like being a genius in physics. Even if you have the best and most original ideas, how exactly are you going to document them if you are unfamiliar with the relevant symbology?.. Let alone the fact that you have to know what the great physicists before you have achieved. How are you going to learn that? By watching Feynman interviews on YouTube?... Even Wagner, the most self-taught and perhaps the most original of the 4-5 greatest musical geniuses, had all the craft preceding him before inventing his own.

Do you need such craft in order to compose 30-second septic trailers and 2-minute ostinato cues? Of course not. You can do that with "inspiration" patches. Can one call himself an orchestral composer with these particular skills? One can call themselves anything.

And we can laugh to our hearts' content.

• Errikos, thank you for your contribution. Not only I agree with what you said, I'm even more extreme.

Namely this thing of genius, child prodigies, innate talent... It's just an old, romantic fantasy with no scientific ground. And even if the innate genius of humanity as whole does exist - at the end we're not flies - surely is not musical, since music is an arbitrary, relatively recent invention of humanity, that played no role in human evolution. It's like saying that Michael Jordan had the innate genius for basketball. No, man :-D

I also met enough world-class scientists, being a mathematician, to observe that no scientific genius exists either. There exist dedication, training, perseverance, passion for understanding things logically, great education, and all those things together, like in sport, bring one to the top of the mountain. Never heard of a single person that had purported "genius" in science and mathematics that hadn't obsessively trained himself to develop his skills. What you need to succeed is personality traits that lead you to work obsessively and intensively toward a single goal. Not many people are fueled by such a strong fire, and not many of those people benefit from world-class, well-thought education. 

And all these great composers as well where just people with a well functioning brain, who worked hardly and smartly to educate themselves or being educated in their craft.

• Errikos, it appears your inbox is full.

"The US 1st Amendment does NOT allow you to yell "FIRE!" falsely in a packed cinema, nor in an online forum." ~ Dobi (60kg Cane da pastore Maremmano-Abruzzese)
  • Apologies. I have deleted a few messages, it should be working now.

• Well said agitato

I couldn't agree more! 

• Liszt's "studio"

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on
  • PaulP Paul moved this topic from Your Music on