Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,910 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,946 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Hello John,

thanks so much for your very helpful feedback, this explains it! I am ion a M1 Mac and in the Plug-In Manager S1 only shows the AU version. It is a pity that so many useful features don't work anymore with VST3. Let's hope for a native AU version that works then.

All the best

Kai

• update: 

On Rosetta using VST3 (not VST2) it indeed works. It would be useful if VSL would add this info somewhere in the small print on the S1 page, since I am sure I am not the only one on an Apple-silicon Mac and I did not even know before how to (deliberately) run an App in Rosetta 😊 (which is surely also much slower).

• last edited
    last edited

@Kai said:

... it seems as far as score symbols are concerned, it is not possible to trigger Sound Variations based on several score symbols (e.g. staccato and con sordino symbols to obtain the con sordino staccato playing technique). Is this correct?

In Cubase Expression Maps there is no such restriction. Unfortunately, Cubase Expression Maps are otherwise pretty clumsy and limited compared to what e.g. Dorico offers by now.

Thanks and best regards

Kai

Are you saying that Steinberg's Expression Maps are somehow different (improved?) in Dorico as compared to Cubase?

• Yes, by far 😊. Aside from the fact that the Expression Map editor and the implementation of score symbols is a nightmare in Cubase, Dorico has several big advantages:

- in Cubase one can assign at most four different specifiers (like staccato, ...), simultaneously to get a particular playing technique, while in Dorico there is no restriction. I.e. one can e.g. specify no vibrato, legato, on the G string, played by four players and with an accent 😊.

- In Cubase these even have to be in a particular order for things to work, while in Dorico there are no restrictions 

- and finally Dorico Expression Maps offer criteria for an automatic playback of a score. Unfortunately, so far only the note length is supported, but nonetheless this way long or various short notes can automatically be played with the appropriate playing technique, and this works really well. As soon as Dorico offers more such criteria the playback will be mostly automatic and one will only have to tweak here and there.

• Hi Craig,

I'm just getting into composing and orchestration. I abandoned Samplitude after Windows stopped playing nicely with my interface last year. I was running Bootcamp on an older Mac Mini so retreated to OSX and tried everything else before settling on Studio One. Mainly I use VE7Pro to host instruments but use VST 3 and sound variations in S1 as well. I am not missing Samplitude at all since I can't imagine doing what I can now. With S1, VE7 Pro and VSL Synchron Player it's a whole new world.

Vinny 2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB Mac OS Ventura VEP7 Mir 3D Synchronized SE1 Synchron Harp V Smart Orch.+ Ext. Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Analog Lab
  • Vinny.

Thanks for speaking in. Fascinating to hear.

I still love Samplitude for Editing/Mixing, and because I know it so well I can immediately get work done.

However, I'm moving toward Studio One for composing, and am finding the new features in v.5 hugely compelling; and the cooperative effort with VSL to be so helpful!

Can you point me to any helpful resources you've benefitted from in combining VEPro with S1 for an orchestral template? I own VEP, but have not started using it yet.

What advantages have you found by loading instruments into VEP rather than directly into Studio One?

• last edited
    last edited

@Kai said:

ok, maybe in this case the 5.5.0 update broke something there.

I updated now, it works great 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@Kai said:

ok, maybe in this case the 5.5.0 update broke something there.

I updated now, it works great 😊

Hello Gabriel,

thanks for the feedback! Yes 5.5 works fine 😊.

As John pointed out this was a Mac problem. This feature requires VST3 which is not natively supported so far on recent Macs. I can run S1 in emulation mode to use VST3 and there everything works.

• Hi Craig,

Sorry just saw this. Lots of youtube videos on templates for VSL . Anne Kathrin Dern has some.

VEP does a great job of resource management and all your samples are loaded up and ready to go. I find I can reference a lot of instruments in VEP from S1 and still record audio without a lot of latency or S1 crashing. If S1 does crash everything is still loaded in VEP so you're up and running again fast. VEP also loads up MIR if you have it and once you get the routing figured out, wow.

There's no way of getting around the fact that building templates is time consuming though. Reminds me I have to add in my Synchronized Special Edition samples,

Vinny 2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB Mac OS Ventura VEP7 Mir 3D Synchronized SE1 Synchron Harp V Smart Orch.+ Ext. Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Analog Lab
  • last edited
    last edited

Vinny,

By any chance would you be willing to share your S1/VEP template?

I understand that within S1 there in an Exchange feature for users. I could see this being such a helpful thing to build community among new users. 

Meanwhile, I'll check out Dern's videos. Can I presume that even though she's working with Cubase, what she shows for VEP applies just as well to S1?

Craig

@Vinny Colletti said:

Hi Craig,

Sorry just saw this. Lots of youtube videos on templates for VSL . Anne Kathrin Dern has some.

VEP does a great job of resource management and all your samples are loaded up and ready to go. I find I can reference a lot of instruments in VEP from S1 and still record audio without a lot of latency or S1 crashing. If S1 does crash everything is still loaded in VEP so you're up and running again fast. VEP also loads up MIR if you have it and once you get the routing figured out, wow.

There's no way of getting around the fact that building templates is time consuming though. Reminds me I have to add in my Synchronized Special Edition samples,