So I'm working out an issue with VEP 6, some of the worst pops and clicks I've ever heard. Now they aren't just pops and clicks, but they seem to be network dropouts between the two computers. The connection between Logic (2.5 ghz, 16gb ram which I use on my mid 2015, mojave, macbook pro) and VEP (2.7 ghz, 16gb ram, which I run on my mid 2012, high sierra, mac mini) worked just fine for about 4-6 months, but I was experiencing some excess fan noise from my mbp. After talking about it with some people, I realized I needed a switch, so I grabbed a netgear gigabit switch. (all of my connection cables are cat6, btw) I all of the sudden got these weird hard cutouts, both from the audio being sent from the mac mini, but also from the midi being sent to it! I would get hard cuts in the audio coming back, but I'd also have the instruments not recognizing midi information that I was sending to VEP sometimes.
I figured it was the switch. I got a new one, different brand: linksys unmanaged gigabit. The issue persisted. I figured, "what the heck" and just went back to what I was doing before: connected the mac mini and macbook pro directly to eachother, which might be making some fan noise on my mbp, but hey, it works, right? Wrong. After connecting the computers directly to eachother, through cat 6 (a NEW cable this time. Brand spanking new), the issue persisted.
The issue is happening even while running only one instrument, or playing only one note, though the more notes I play, or (oddly enough) the higher the velocities of the midi data, the worse the issue gets.
Now, needless to say, after a lot of trial and error, and input from wonderful and intelligent people, I have gotten absolutely nowhere. The issue might even be worse now. I've attached two things; everything that I've tried to fix the issue (I'll update it as people give suggestions, so that you don't have to go hunting for what I've tried), and an audio clip of what's happening, so ya'll can hear it in it's terrible glory. Thanks for the input.
-changed all cables
-turned the wifi off on both computers
-played with buffer sizes and thread usage on VEP and Logic (actually, raising the buffer size on Logic made the issue suprisingly worse)
-turned off core audio on kontakt
-tried to play different instruments from multiple engines (play, keyscape, kontakt) the issue persists with every library and every engine
-unplugged any unneeded peripherals
-used a different audio interface (making sure the issue wasn't actually the audio being sent to the speakers, or a possible clock issue)
-tried multiple switches
-tried multiple cat 6 cables of varying cost and quality
-Uninstalled and reinstalled VEP on both computers
-set static IP addresses
-tried different docks for my mbp: thought the issue was my landing zone 2015 mbp dock, so the company sent me a new one. issue persisted throughout use of both docks, this is also the dock I was using without issue for the last 6 months
-played from samples coming from different drives (the issue isn't coming from only one drive)
-run diagnostics on both computers, no issues
-tried running VEP locally on the mbp (it works fine with no issues while on just the one computer, so it's probably not just mojave)
I've done other things, but I can't remember them all now. It's been a long couple of weeks. Thanks for the help!