Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,678 users have contributed to 42,366 threads and 255,360 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 66 new user(s).

• Shoul I get a slave computer for VEP? Should I buy a new main machine?

Hello!

I wanted to ask for some advice.

I'm a music composer and I use big orchestral templates for my work. I work with Logic X and load several Kontakt instruments inside it (1 Kontakt instrument-16 samples/16 midi tracks), so let's say that I have around 6 Kontakts with 16 tracks each (around 90 samples loaded).

At these levels I'm really considering getting Vienna Ensemble Pro to save CPU, since my computer can't take so much anymore. I work with an Imac from 2011 (21,5 inches-2.5GHz Intel Core i5) and I have it at 16 GB RAM (it can't go higher than that). - I load my sample libraries from an external drive-.

The problem is that I don't know what would be the best option for me. I don't know if the processor of my Imac is too slow because it's "old" to stand all of this and if it would be enough with a good slave computer, or if I should buy a new mac.

If I bought a new mac, I was thinking of getting a powerful laptop (I travel very often) but I don't know if it would be enough to host VEP or if at some point I would still need a slave machine. Maybe it would be better to go for a desktop computer...?

On the other hand, right now I got the 30 days demo from VEP, but there's a problem: I don't know how to get more than 16 midi tracks from one main instrument in Logic. Then, even if I put one Kontakt inside one instance of VEP, would it really make a difference? The idea would be to be able to host multiple Kontakts inside one instance of VEP, right? Should I consider switching to another DAW in order to get more midi tracks? In any case, when I tried the other day to create one instance of VEP my computer was crashing all the time.

I'm sorry for all these questions that seem not to be related, but I'm so confused right now. I need to have a machine that works smoothly, but I don't want to spend toons of money and not exploiting the resources properly. I really, really appreciate opinions, thx! :)

• I just got a PC slave.  Changed everything for me.

If you're ever interested in Synchron products, don't think about trying 'em on a laptop only.  You gotta have the RAM and processor speed/cores that laptops simply don't have.  And that goes for some Kontakt libraries too... you don't wanna be freezing tracks and killin' the vibe with pops/clicks.

The MIDI tracks question is a little complicated, and a matter of opinion.  You'll have some old guys flip if you start talking about Logic Multiport templates, which would allow you to put a bunch of ports in, each with it's own set of 16 channels, that will work with a single instance of VEPro.  Without going into too much detail, Logic has a bug that causes all sorts of problems with hanging notes, etc.  However, this guy Dewdman (or something) has come up with a workaround.  (See thread here: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=137085 )

In the event you don't wanna mess with all that, the best solution is to use multiple instances of VEPro.

• last edited
    last edited

@alioli88 said:

If I bought a new mac, I was thinking of getting a powerful laptop (I travel very often) but I don't know if it would be enough to host VEP or if at some point I would still need a slave machine. Maybe it would be better to go for a desktop computer...?

The current eLicenser encryption method might be a problem for you here because you say that you "travel very often." Keep in mind that if you loose the Vienna key while on your travels you loose your licenses.  Or to be more blunt, you're screwed.  There are countless threads on the forum about that but be sure to read up on the lost or damaged Vienna key policy before you sink everything into that laptop.

Personally, I like to keep everything in one box.  I don't deal with slave systems and such because with one machine there are about a billion things that could go wrong, when you start adding slaves then you increase those potential  problems exponentially.  But then again I don't use MIR or any of the Synchron products.

If you're an Apple person then find the fastest most powerfull Mac that you can afford and work with that.  And I agree with Stephen that these newer products coming down the pike are going to require more processing power, RAM, etc. so the laptop may not be practical.  However, you might find that the Special Edition bundles are adequate to your composing needs and the SE libraries can work quite seemlessly on laptops as they are not so CPU intensive.