Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,799 users have contributed to 42,186 threads and 254,594 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 27 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• how to control instrument "sharpness" with mod-wheel

Long time ago I believe to have used a feature that allowed me to control the "sharpness" of an instrument with the mod-wheel. Unfortunately I have lost this preset and I don't know any more how I created it, mostly because I don't know the technical term for what I'm just describing. Perhaps somebody here can help me out.

The effect allowed me to control let's say trombones or horns with the mod-wheel, but not only increasing/reducing volume (which is not that natural a sound), but also the natural "sharpness" (or whatever the term is) of the instrument being played louder as it would sound like when played with higher velocity. The result was that the instrument could be played softly and during sustain, as the mod-wheel was turned "up", the swell kicked in (or out, for that matter).

I had a look into the videos and the presets, but I seem to have missed how to create this. Can anyone give me a hint? Thanks in advance!

• Are you talking about Velocity Crossfade?

• I think that's it. Thank you!

Can you tell me how to achieve the effect I described within Vienna Instruments? Is it as simple as assigning CC1 as a controller to the Velocity parameter? And how will playing on the keyboard with different velocity work out? Is there a good way to combine these two approaches?

• In the basic veiw click where it says "N/A."  A menu will pop up with Attack, Expression, etc. click on Velocity Crossfade

A slider or fader will appear with an on/off button.  Turn it on then right click on the fader and it should flash. Then move your mod wheel and if your MIDI is set up correctly the fader should move with your mod wheel. 

• Thanks, jasensmith, for pointing me in the right direction. Velocity XF was exactly what I was looking for! I hadn't been able to activate it, because I had to activate the master VelXF checkbox AND assign the modwheel AND I wasn't even sure if it's the right parameter. It worked out great, thanks!

Now I've got two follow-up questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Can horns in reality be played softer and louder without "velocity XF" changing? meaning: If I assign expression to the mod-wheel as well, which I intend to do (because I like to control the volume down to the point where the instrument is hardly audible), will it be a natural sound? Or can horns actually be played at maximum volume without "swelling sound" (and vice versa: can the "swelling sound" be played pianissimo?)

2. Can I turn the master VelXF on and off with a keyswitch event? I don't think so, and since Master VelXF seems to affect the whole matrix, I can't even slot-in two identical instruments with one's VelXF controlled by ModWheel and the other's controlled by key velocity. Question being, is it possible and if yes what's the recommended way of doing that?

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

2. Can I turn the master VelXF on and off with a keyswitch event? I don't think so, and since Master VelXF seems to affect the whole matrix, I can't even slot-in two identical instruments with one's VelXF controlled by ModWheel and the other's controlled by key velocity. Question being, is it possible and if yes what's the recommended way of doing that?

Yes you can.  The on/off switch next to the VEL X fade fader can be switched on and off in real time during recording by right clicking on the button, wait till it flashes, and then moving an appropriate controller on your keyboard.  Or I think you can assign a keyswitch to it as well.

• Makes sense, except for the keyswitch controller for the master velXF. It seems to only learn standard MIDI controllers. Since I have a rather reduced master keyboard which offers only pitch bend and modwheel (and for some reason ignores the volume fader) I'd rather go with a keyswitch. I'm surprised no one has had this as a feature request yet.

• Just as a feedback to jasensmith's advice: You were absolutely right. I got the Goldilocks effect as you called it. That's why I've returned to using the modwheel for expression only. (I've yet to figure out how best to control velXF, but that's another story). Thanks again!

• The Goldilocks effect is a real problem with wind and percussion instruments.

Unless you have some MIDI ports on your keyboard to add devices like a breath controller or something it might be time to start saving for another keyboard.  Of course, you could just write the controller data into your sequencer but that could be just as laborious as trying to counteract the Goldilocks effect.

Another option would be to continuously reassign that mod wheel.  In other words, record your VEL X fade, then reassign the mod wheel to Expression and record that, then reassign the mod wheel to whatever else, record, and so on. 

• As a matter of fact, I'm just getting myself a Breath Controller and I'm very excited about it. Thanks, jasensmith.