Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,975 users have contributed to 42,197 threads and 254,642 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Can my slave Mac stream samples from a Thunderbolt external drive?

I have two Mac slaves running VEP5, connecting to my DAW rMBP using a Gigabit Ethernet switch.  It's working great, but I have too many samples to store on both slaves' hard drives.  Right now they're sitting on external LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSDs.  I would love instead to have those samples available at a moment's notice. 

One of my slaves (2012 rMBP) has an unused Thunderbolt 2 port; the other TB port connects to the Ethernet switcher.   

So could I make use of that unused Thunderbolt port by, attaching the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD?

Meaning, could I stream samples from that SSD into VEPro 5 on my slave rMBP, then out of my slave, through the switcher and into my DAW laptop?  Or is that asking for trouble?  

• Hi, 

You can us the Tb 2 ports for SSD drives, but it is not the fastest protocol. 

The files contained on that drive are only available on the computer the drive is attached on. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

You can us the Tb 2 ports for SSD drives, but it is not the fastest protocol. 

What is the fastest protocol ?

• last edited
    last edited

Hi,

There's a comparison chart a bit further down in this report.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul

Very nice table

Many thanks

Best

RLD