Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,738 users have contributed to 42,180 threads and 254,564 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 60 new user(s).

• Pro tools session needs to manually connect to servers on slave pcs

Hi

I have the latest VE pro 6 . I have a mac pro as the master computer/daw running pro tools 12.5.2.

I have 3 windows 7 pcs running the VE pro 6 servers. Everything works fine except when re-opening a pro tools session. If I open up the three servers on the pcs first and then open the pro tools session on the mac, the VE pro instrument plugins in pro tools try to load up the vsts etc on the wrong slave pc. it's even more complicated when there are several instances on the slave machines. So each time I have to open up pro tools first, then open up each server on the 3 pcs and connect them all manually.  Am I missing a trick (or 2)?

Any help gratefully received.

• Hi, 

What are your network settings?

You should definitely use static IP addresses, and avoid 169.x.x.x addresses (these are automatically assigned by your computer and tend to change).

Please try the following: 

Manually assign one of these IP addresses to the computers in your setup: 192.168.0.x or 10.0.0.x, and assign a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (leave the other fields blank), then it should work. 

VE PRO connects based on 2 factors: 

1) instance name (preserved name)
    2) IP address

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks for that Paul. Seems to be working so far....Do I have to think of unique names for each instance all the time?

For example: I have 3 pcs connected to my DAW  on a  mac. Here the plug ins are named after the 3 pcs, A B and C. Could I just name the preserved instances in the PC servers A B and C everytime I create a new session in my DAW, or will that cause confusion for VE pro?

Thanks again

• Hi, 

I´d definitely change those instance names to project-specific names (unless you never change your template). 

Best, 
    Paul

• Thanks Paul....I think experimentation is the way forward to getting the most efficient workflow.

In the meantime, I have a current project that displays some strange characteristics on loading. I open the session in Pro tools with the VE servers already open on the 3 pcs. They start to load in sequence, but get stuck, apparently when trying to load an instance of PLAY 3 . It stalled for a couple of minutes.....then I just moved my mouse....and it started to load a few more Mb....I moved the mouse a bit more....and another fe Mb started to load...until it was complete, and then the rest of the pcs followed on as normal.!

slightly odd. Maybe I should update PLAY..

thanks again.

• Hi, 

Working with the latest versions of your installed software is not a bad idea! This way you can also expect the best support from the software companies. 

Best, 
    Paul