Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,538 users have contributed to 42,365 threads and 255,344 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 63 new user(s).

• A strange symptom of solo cello and Sibelius: Mystery Midi Messages?

Hey, I'm having a strange problem and can't for the life of me figure it out. I'm using sibelius 7 and VSL (SE 1 and SE 1+ for strings only). I am using the VSL house style and my instruments (in the quartets I work on) are all the proper "Solo Violin", "Solo Cello" etc.

The problem I'm having is with only the solo cello, I noticed it when trying to get the cello to play legato, even at half notes at moderato the legato notes will cut out and retrigger multiple times within the span of a half note. Now realize I have used VSL for a while and I used to use the Solo Cello with a different setup and I am 100% certain the problem is NOT that the note has been held long enough for it to reach the end of the sample. I realize this happens as well, but this is not the issue at hand. In fact if I play the cello with the little onscreen keyboard in Vienna Instruments I can hold the legato notes for much much longer.

I eventually noticed that whatever the physically lowest (spacially) instrument staff on the page was (I use panorama mode) was being sent a mystery 100 velocity non audible note at a rate of roughly 1/8th notes.

Heres where things get even weirder: To investigate further I exported the midi (targeted at my current playback device) and opened it up in a midi editor. There were no such notes!

I truly have no idea what is going on, if anyone has any insight please enlighten me, I need that sweet sweet legato cello!

• Hello Yarnfox!

I haven't heard about such a problem yet. Which note gets triggered with velocity 100 by accindent? Maybe there's an error somewhere in your configuration. Did you check the Troubleshooting chapter of the "Optimizing Sibelius Playback" manual?
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyDownloads/Notation_related

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I took a good look through the troubleshooting today, to no avail unfortunately.

I am not sure what note it is. Like I said when I export the midi it doesn't show anywhere. I know its there though because I can see the "Midi in" green light on the lowest instrument in the score flash and more importantly I can see a little line at the 100 velocity mark appear periodically on the top left little indicator of the vienna instruments UI. I tried looking on the onscreen vienna instruments keyboard to see if the note being triggered was visible there but I couldn't spot it. But I feel it has to be a note not just a control signal because it shows up on the top left veloicity indicator, no?

Anyway right now my string quartets and other works just have an empty picollo staff below the cello or double bass which is fine as a work around for now. I'd rather get it fixed though!

Thanks.

• It's odd that an additional Piccolo staff makes the problem go away. Could it be that you have the Click turned on (not muted) in the Sibelius mixer? It can mess up an instrument or even the whole playback. If you want to use the Click, reserve a percussion channel for it (on the Manual Sound Sets page and in Vienna Ensemble).

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Oh my goodness the click was the problem! Strange that it plays through that midi channel (?) but oh well, its fixed now!

Good detective work, I didn't even think of that but considering that the message was every 1/8th or 1/4th note it makes alot of sense!

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on