Please share your workflows!! Some questions I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts:
- What percent of time do you find yourself (a) actually composing with your brain, (b) tweaking MIDI performances, (c) doing basic MIDI note/CC entry, (d) mixing/reverb/other?
- Which part of the work do you feel is your bottleneck that you wish could go faster?
- Do you use a MIDI keyboard controller, or mouse/keyboard? which parts of your workflow do you use each one?
- How specifically do you try to minimize the time you spend with MIDI note entry and MIDI tweaks?
- How do you prefer to do initial note entry for the first instrument in a new cue?
- How do you prefer to do note entry for additional instruments in an existing cue?
- Which DAW do you prefer, and how do you feel about it's piano-roll / key editor?
For me, I find that I spent 99% of my time buried in piano rolls. I use piano rolls while orchestrating, as well as later on to perfect MIDI performances.
I want to switch from FL Studio to Cubase (features like multiple CC lanes, score editing, and expression maps), The problem is that the piano roll in FL Studio is much faster for me. So with either DAW I am making a compromise. FL Studio piano roll features include things like warping length of groups of notes, instantly previewing a point in time to spot-check, and quickly erasing multiple arbitrary notes with one click+drag motion. The corresponding features in Cubase take multiple clicks or keystrokes, often requiring to change tools and to reposition the playback cursor. I feel it slows me down too much and I have not found keyboard shortcuts or customization options to make it faster. So that's why I am interested to hear how other people may have solved these problems =)