Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,683 users have contributed to 42,180 threads and 254,554 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• overload again (SE)

I have been slowly working on the third and last file of my "Merlin-King Arthur" project and the last two short sections I composed of a lengthy piece cause Logic 9 to stop when played from the beginning of the piece.

The first section beginning to cause the problem involves a (separate) track loaded with tubular bells (percussion #41) playing in 5ths. (Not sure this can be done in real life.) but the real killer is a section loaded with a short (regular) celesta track accompanied by all (SE) strings loaded with tremolo and legato in 5 part harmony. This is preceded by a longer section mostly of brass and winds playing at the top of their lungs. (But this is all calculated not to overpower the narration track.)

It is clear that I've here pulled out all the stops but what can I do? (I've not used Dimension Violins and Cellos but would it help?)

• I reduced the volumes again in the Logic 9 mixer by choosing all instruments and reducing them proportionally. I've not needed so much volume which also adds distortion. And it pretty much does the trick.

It wouldn't be bad to reduce the overall volume some more.

• Have you tried Logic's Bounce In Place for tracks you don't need to edit in real time?

• last edited
    last edited

@GallenWolf said:

Have you tried Logic's Bounce In Place for tracks you don't need to edit in real time?
    As a matter of fact, I thought about this possibility but reducing volume works well enough while I'm still composing the piece and I am not sure I don't need to edit these tracks eventually.

So maybe I should wait  before I do this.

• Yes, I bounced the brief tubular bells track in place and it works well. You have to mute the original track which is normally retained.

• Glad you got it sorted. What's your buffer size like? Increasing it may help with the overloads in logic but I've experienced overloads in logic even on buffer sizes of 1024 and very few tracks. In my experience it's some plugins not playing well somehow, but oh well :)

• last edited
    last edited

@GallenWolf said:

Glad you got it sorted. What's your buffer size like? Increasing it may help with the overloads in logic but I've experienced overloads in logic even on buffer sizes of 1024 and very few tracks. In my experience it's some plugins not playing well somehow, but oh well :)

It continues to come apart but you are right. My buffer size was set lower (to 256) I think and I reset it to the highest setting of 1024 which solved the problem, at least for the moment.

Though I did more or less learn about the Logic sends, I've decided it was best to use the VSL reverbs and settings as they seem to work better than, say, Sound Designer etc. in the Logic settings. But Logic's "bounce in place" feature is excellent even if it didn't seem to solve my problems much in the present instance.

• Edward, what kind of effects/plugins are applying to your music? If bounce in place doesn't work - it may be due to some plugin down the signal chain causing issues. May I suggest removing all extraneous plugins to see if it helps? If there are no overloads when all the unnecessary plugins are removed, slowly adding them in one by one may help determine the plugins causing the overload.

• I really am not using extra plugins or effects save the VSL reverbs and Master volumes. But, as I wrote, putting up the buffer size in Logic has solved the problem.

• I started a new topic which is probably related to this one:

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/36350/223737.aspx#223737

• OK, what I wanted to do in the other thread I can see is not doable. There have been no responses so far.

But I was able to figure out the problem: "bounce in place"  works but the bounced track has got to be muted either in the bounce window or with the mute tool. Pressing mute in the track strip doesn't work for the purpose of reducing the load on the computer.

Also, the regular celesta sample seems to be heavy on the computer load so I've needed to bounce the percussion track where the celesta is.

Problem solved!