Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,321 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,487 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• Macbook Pro Fans loud although CPU not exhausted

Hi there! I'm experiencing an odd problem: I recently bought a new Macbook Pro (late 2011), i7-Processor 2.4 GHz and added 16 GB of ram. If I'm opening a bigger project in Sibelius with 4 instances of VE (loading a total amount of 2 GB of samples), the inbuilt fans are rotating at 4000-6000rpm, resulting in a big noise of course. If I'm checking with the activity monitor, I'm just using 15% of the CPU, 10% is used by the system, 75% is idle. VE uses 3.6 GB of ram, including the other running applications, I have a total amount of 8 GB of free ram... I don't understand why the fans are at that high speed? Any help would be appreciated! all the best balz

• I left MAC a few years ago but, I do know that I had downloaded a small application that let me control my RPM of my fan.  Do a search for macbook pro fan speed software etc and you should find something that let's you adjust it yourself.  I loved it on my macbook pro, it made it much quieter.

Of course, I should say to you proceed with caution because I will not take any blame in your laptop over heating :).

Maestro2be

• It is not a good idea to play with the fan speed, if your Mac is too hot it will stop !!!!!

Do you have Safari open ?

If yes can you look in activity montor if you dont have a process called "Flash player......." if yes, kill this process or close Safari 

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • I'm not using Safari but Google Chrome. I just killed the Shockwave Flash process (Google Chrome plugin), but still no success. As soon as VE starts, the fans are increasing directly to 6200rpm. I am wondering - is it possible that I can add more ram to the VE application manually?

• And if you start only Sibelius with the 4 VE project ?

In Activity Monitor/system memory what is the value for SWAP used ?

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Still the same, even if I close all applications and start sibelius with a total amount of 13.6GB of ram. The value for swap is 0kb. Is that wrong?

• You should close all aps, reboot and then start Sibelius

Swap = 0 is the best, is it starts to have a value and if you are doing music, you must close apps or add more memory, it is is other apps it does not matter too much as you can wait while your computer is swapping

• Just did as you said (closing all the apps, then reboot and restart Sibelius again). First it went ok (fans went to 4000 rpm) but after a few minutes of working, they increased to 5900, generating a loud noise again... I really don't know what to do.

• do you have the app that is messuring the temperatures ?

Is your macbook on a cloth? does it have a case/ cover ?

Try to place a book under it to see if it is ventilating better, leaving the openings free

Best

Cyril 

• Yes, absolutely make sure the surface below your macbookpro is perfectly flat (so that the little knobs in the corners are enough to raise it off the surface) creating breathing room.  Do not use anything like a towel, cloth etc.  I rememeber my macbookpro instantly over heating when I used it in my "lap".  It is definitely a good idea to get an app to be able to read the machines current temperature when this is happening.

Maestro2be

• Of course I've got iStat. The temperature of the cpu is at around 85 degree celsius while VE is running. At home, the mbp is placed on the edges of two folded cardboards in order to have better air circulation. Which means, the knobs are not in contact with the surface. So I tried to place the mpb onto a clean, flat table, but still - the fans are increasing (as soon as VE starts loading samples. But I guess that's because of the hight temperature?! iStat says, that 71% of the cpu is idle and that there are 8.6 gb of ram available... Any suggestions?

• Same problem here. Is anybody solved this? Help, it is loud!!!! : )

• I read somewhere that in these cases it may help to have the fans of your MacBook Pro cleaned.

As posted above, don't play with the speed of the fans, they are set by the computer to avoid overheating. But if they have been used much they may be quite dirty, and therefore are not able to cool that well any more.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Stefan