Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,662 users have contributed to 42,473 threads and 255,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Audio Interfaces for Windows based 64-bit systems

Hello all,

I am putting together a new system so that I can run MIR Pro. I was originally looking at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP as an audio interface, but someone (a salesperson) told me that it would most likely give me latency problems.  I was pretty sure that it was considered a low latency interface, so I do not know if this is true.  I am now also looking at the Steinberg MR816X and the MRE Babyface. 

I'd realy like to know what other people are using with Windows 64 systems - I have 16GB of RAM.  Please share with me what experiences you have had with audio interfaces.

Thanks,

Mike Coyle

PS - I recently created a post that went into the realm of the absurdly off-topic and kind of ended poorly.  I vowed never to post to this forum again, BUT, I do find it very helpful the majority of the time, so I am trying again.  [:O]

•  RME is the answer. Which one depends on the I/O you need.

DG

•  Yes, that did go rather off topic didn't it? 

I noticed that I have almost the same system you mentioned.  It is an i7 920 with 24 GB of ram and works incredibly powerfully.  i can run all of MIR Pro and huge VE5 ensembles.  Since I am on a severe budget, and I always do the mix separately from MIDI playback (not from within MIDI) it doesn't matter how many channels the interface has.  So I got the smallest one that has good specs - Echo Audiofire 2 with two channels!  It is probably as good as those super-cool "ultimate" interfaces in actual sound quality, and yet costs a fraction.  What was mine?  I think $150?   So if you are not mixing directly out of MIDI playback something like that is good.  (though of course with MIR you probably can go directly out of MIDI. I just am used to freezing tracks or premixes so that I can manipulate them in a pure audio environment.)

• RME.  Most stable part of my recording studio for all the years I have owned the many versions (I still use ALL of them).  Only one has ever failed on me and it was my fault (I disconnected it during a flash update).  I sent it back and they not only gave me amazing service, but they said for 200.00, they would upgrade me to the current version of the soundcard (it was out of warranty).  This saved me well into 6-700 hundred dollars.

Additionally, they write the absolute best drivers available.  Their mixing console software is amazing also (once you learn to use it and how).  I myself wouldn't even consider another brand.

Maestro2be

• It realy depends how you want that your studio grows

If you need just a few in and a few out you have alot of solutions ( I will chose a PCIe solution to avoid FW and USB bottlenecks )

If you want that your audio grow with your need, if you are rich buy a Protools system ; if you are not go on a solution like Motu

Motu propose a system where you have one PCIe card in your PC/MAC, then you add up to 4 "boxes"

There are different "boxes" depending of your needs.

I have start my audio system with 8 analog in, 2 digital in and 8 analog out (spdif, Tdif or Adat) and 2 digital out (spdif, Tdif or Adat)

What is nice with Motu is you can switch the TDIF,SPDIF and ADAT by just modifying the software control pannel

Also there is almost zero latency as the PCI card has an internal mixer

just adding 3 more "boxes" to the PCIe card now I have 84 ins and 64 outs

I forgot to add that Motu uses the same DAC converter than Protools

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  •  Sorry Cyril, but Motu is a bad idea. The drivers have always been pretty flaky. For using virtual instruments Pro Tools is not a good option anyway.

RME. Simple as that.

DG

•  YIKES ! a crisis for me.............

I'm going to disagree with DG and agree with Cyril !!

I use 4 MOTU interfaces (96 inputs / 96 outputs) and they work perfectly,  never glitch or do anything wrong, and the PCI-Cue Mix works perfectly for zero latency recording. It's never given me any issues ever.

The only thing,  it cannot be considered a "budget" system,  4x 24 i/o units costs nearly £4000,  and perhaps the daft thing, is that I use a Benchmark DAC1 for my output DAC (so I only use a single digital out on the MOTU's).

I have an EMU1820m on another PC,  and I would suggest that the Emu interface (now the 1616m) is worth a look at, the Patch mix allows any routing you'd need. I have never had the Emu falter either.

• last edited
    last edited

@andyjh said:

YIKES ! a crisis for me.............

I'm going to disagree with DG and agree with Cyril !!

Make  sure to book your therapy  session ASAP. [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@andyjh said:

The only thing,  it cannot be considered a "budget" system,  4x 24 i/o units costs nearly £4000,  and perhaps the daft thing, is that I use a Benchmark DAC1 for my output DAC (so I only use a single digital out on the MOTU's).

He does not need to buy 4 x 24 I/O to start. I have bought 2 of my Motu "boxes" second hand !

If you compare a 4 x 24 I/O to the equivalent with Protools, you are going to faint earing the Protools price ! LOL

If you only need 16 or 24 bit recording and play at 44.1 or at 48 Khz the previous version of the Motu "boxes" (24i, 2408MKII,1296) are still working and are still supported, and you get those for very little $ ( I have 3 "boxes" of old version and 1 "boxe" othe the new version)

DG, how can you say that the Motu driver are "flaky", can you please explain.

I had  a Digi001 after my Atari, I kept the Digi001 a month or 2 ; then I move to Motu so it is many many years !!!

Motu drivers are ready when a new version comes out, at least on Mac OS, there support is ok.

One thing I have to reproch them is that they do not listen to there client with "big" configuration, like me. I have ask fo years to be able to see more that 24 tracks at a time(I must scroll accross my 84 tracks) , they don't care a damm !!!

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

DG, how can you say that the Motu driver are "flaky", can you please explain.

For many years Motu has had a reputation for bad drivers for their hardware. Note that this applies to Windows, not to OSX. [;)]

DG

• Hi Mike, I am in the very same situation as you. Except, I own a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. I absolutely love it, but it does have latency issues with larger scores. My two cents: get something with very, very low latency and rock solid drivers. Personally, I think I am going to go with RME and buy one of their PCIe HDSP cards. Its terribly expensive, but I hope it will take care of all of my problems for good. Zero hassle + next to zero latency= time saved. Focusrite's pres are fantastic. Not as much headroom as some, but the quality is quite satisfying. Best Victor

• last edited
    last edited

Victor,

Thank you for sharing this. I was suprised when the techniction at ADK told me that the FOcusrite had any latency issues.  I had not heard that.  He suggested any RME or the Steinberg MR816x because they were extremely low latency and both had good drivers (at least the Steinberg FW drivers are good, I hear the USB drivers are a little problematic).  I went with the Steinberg because it had 8 XLR inputs and very good preamps.  I wish I could have done one of the RMEs with more I/Os, but considering that I bought a whole new system, MIR Pro AND the Vienna Imperial, I had already gone over budget.  I'm psyched about having a new system and all the new software.  I have finally made a huge leap into the present!  😊

Mike

@vgarcia said:

Hi Mike, I am in the very same situation as you. Except, I own a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. I absolutely love it, but it does have latency issues with larger scores. My two cents: get something with very, very low latency and rock solid drivers. Personally, I think I am going to go with RME and buy one of their PCIe HDSP cards. Its terribly expensive, but I hope it will take care of all of my problems for good. Zero hassle + next to zero latency= time saved. Focusrite's pres are fantastic. Not as much headroom as some, but the quality is quite satisfying. Best Victor