Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,464 users have contributed to 42,460 threads and 255,844 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• CYCC Judging Process

Here are the details for the judging process:

Daryl Griffith and Mike Verta will be the judges for this competition.

*As mentioned in the original FAQ, you need to submit a largely symphonic piece of work. Of course, you can include non-traditional instruments and electronic sounds but the work has to be symphonic at its core. This also means, no quartets or solo instrument performances. The work needs to be symphonic in nature.

*The judges will grade the contestants in Composition (including basic things like originality/imagination, orchestration, harmony, counterpoint etc where relevant) as well as programming/mixing. The weighting for this will be 85/15 % in favour of Composition. The focus will remain on pure writing skill.

*The judges will not know about the title of the piece or the name of the composer when they receive the compositions submitted to me by e-mail. Total anonymity will be maintained. They will simply know the respective pieces by a designated entry number.

*After the grading work is complete, a winner will be declared on 27th April 2012 by 11:59 PM UTC/GMT +5:30 hours - Indian Standard Time. Winner takes all of the money raised by this date minus 5% deducted by GoFundMe as an administration fee. Cinesonique will not benefit financially in any way whatsoever.

*You will need to submit a valid identity proof to verify your age. You can send a scanned copy of your valid government approved identification document to cinesonique@gmail.com

*Many people have asked me if they will retain the copyright to their works? Yes, of course! The composer retains all the rights.

*For any further questions, please write to me at cinesonique@gmail.com

Link to the same: http://www.facebook.com/groups/221227937950497/doc/281297605276863/

Best,

Tanuj.

• I'd just like to remind the esteemed judges (both of whom do not need electricity to write for orchestra), that they do not necessarily have to award a First Prize should they agree that the quality requirements for this competition are not met by any of the entrants (standard in music competitions and something that also should have been disclaimed in the 'Rules and Regulations').

Further, has everybody heard what happened in this year's Oscars?!.... What possessed the Academy to award a soundtrack that is rumoured to be completely and utterly bereft of loops, spiccati-patterns, taikos, arpeggiators, rhythm sequencers, viral cut-and-paste doublings, female mid-eastern chanting, strings/brass upward-glissandi, ominous latin choirs....... Nothing!....... I mean....... what's left?................. Was it silent??........... Wasn't Trevor adjudicating?!

• Paul, calm down, just have some chamomille and stop being stressed about not being asked to judge this.  It is because they don't want a Simon Cowell. That is all.  The delicate, smooth-skinned and sensitive young composers would be crushed by someone like that.   DG is of course an expert programmer and fabulous composer.   But I forgot who mike verta was. 

Why on earth, come to think of it, didn't they ask me???!! 

It's not because of that post in which I stated I hate all young composers because they are wretched little shits who deserve imprisonment within Kafka's harrowing machine from The Penal Colony that slowly pricks and slices you to death, simply for daring to pretend to be composers when they are all mindless Zimmerimitation machines?    No, it couldn't be that. 

Wait a minute!   I didn't write that!   Dang!

btw Paul, Trevor admires Bernard Bach immensely. 

• The only reason I went easy on Daryl is because he went to my college. 

Any complaints about my previous post are of course understandable and should not in any way reflect on the marvelous VSL. How they put up with it is beyond me. Please contact the address below if you have any complaints.

zimmarians@f%uko$f.co.uk.

Many thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I have forgotten more about counterpoint than those two put together. Mike Verta can barely play the fucking piano and is a fucking John Williams clone (almost incapable of writing anything that doesn't sound like a 1980's Spielberg piece of crap) - and Daryl has no sense of humour whatsoever and has been seduced by the dark side of technology.

Stay classy, Paul.

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

I'd just like to remind the esteemed judges (both of whom do not need electricity to write for orchestra), that they do not necessarily have to award a First Prize should they agree that the quality requirements for this competition are not met by any of the entrants (standard in music competitions and something that also should have been disclaimed in the 'Rules and Regulations').

Further, has everybody heard what happened in this year's Oscars?!.... What possessed the Academy to award a soundtrack that is rumoured to be completely and utterly bereft of loops, spiccati-patterns, taikos, arpeggiators, rhythm sequencers, viral cut-and-paste doublings, female mid-eastern chanting, strings/brass upward-glissandi, ominous latin choirs....... Nothing!....... I mean....... what's left?................. Was it silent??........... Wasn't Trevor adjudicating?!

It's when I start 'getting hilarious' it usually means I have a bug up my a s s. For a start - 2 JUDGES!!?!! Should be at least 3. But beyond that - you have to be under 35?!?!?! Is that like a random number? Once you get over 35 then what happens? You stop writing music? These are questions that need to be addressed right? Anyone under 35 is generally retarded and have usually come from dysfunctional backgrounds. Am I right? I don't enter music comps. The last one I entered I won and they wouldn't let give the prize away.

You might as well start a competition for the under 35's that were camped out at St Pauls. The most retarded wins a prize.

THIS IS BEGINNING TO SOUND LIKE A FUCKING PONZI SCHEME!!!!! Is Madoff runing this music comp??? Someone talk some sense here!

• In case of the two judges championing two different works, Tanuj should have a casting vote in my opinion since he is the instigator of all this (not unheard in competitions, some even get the green-grocer sponsors to vote!!). Alternatively, I believe a lot of us here would volunteer our ears for a "People's" Prize [6] (again, in the event of a tie). However, I for one agree that Paul should be the Third Man...

One will find that the age for young composers competitions varies significantly. I have seen anything from 20 to 40(!), and once even 45(!!). Mostly they gravitate around the age of 35 (retarded or not - mostly retarded and dysfunctional of course but through little fault of their own), so in this at least this competition is typical. In addition, many of the greats of the immediate past (say the last 40 years), began to make a considerable name for themselves from about that age, so it means that us older guys should accept that we are going to remain unadulterated failures for the remainder of our days, that is since we haven't made it yet... Damn I'm so jealous of Trevor!...

Look Paul, just be happy the whole gig isn't a tribute to Hans or Reznor or Daft Punk and the like...

•  Well that film music competition on the other thread is also for young composers.  Just go and Google composing competitions and you will find almost all of them are young composer only.   So as we now realize, the Old Composers are essentially in the position of all those going red in Logan's Run.  They have to go to Carousel and try to be renewed, or its vaporization time. 

• I believe even knowing of Logan's Run would mean immediate disqualification from these competitions.

• In fact - in this country it may even be illegal under The Political Correctness Act of 2004. This White Paper insists that all morons are created equal and MUST be given a chance to fuck up regardless of age.

• Why 3 judges? In_case_there's_ a_tie. Who will then get the deciding vote. Parliaments, town councils, piano competitions throughout the ages have managed to grasp this fundemental mathematical basis and allowed for the number of judges accordingly.

VSL has no interest in making this place fair and relevant?  You're joking. They're the fairest forum on the planet.

You care to explain how a music competition for 35 year olds and under is fair and relevant - on VSL, especially when you consider a lot of the contestants won't even have a single VSL download instrument in their library collection?

The reason none of you bozos will ever be any good is because you can't write music that is original or has any form of originality in it. All sampled based music I hear today is unoriginal. It always harks back to some filmscore or vaguely classical work everyone on the planet has heard. But you can't tell them that or they go screaming to their mothers and the moderators telling them what a nasty man just said.

No one EVER writes a piece like Herrmann or Rosza for instance. Wanna know why? Because it's TOO DIFFICULT TO COPY AND BE ANY GOOD! It's easy to copy Williams and Zimmer until we're all completely stultified. Most of these twats are INCAPAPBLE of any kind of musical discussion. Wanna know why? Beacause they are mostly UNEDUCATED morons. Not just uneducated musically - that is fucking obvious most of the time after bar one. Uneducated period! This is why certain elements on forums that run out of patience start to use FOUL LANGUAGE! Most great writers have life experience - they didn't spend all their time sitting in front of a COMPUTER!

One of the reasons you don't know my work is because there's hardly any in the first place. I take the view that if I can't write anything vaguely original then I won't write anything at all. Such a shame others can't follow that rule. Then we would all be overjoyed to occassionally hear work that actually meant something and wasn't the latest 'I just farted on the keyboard cop horror cue' that my cats could have done a better job with.

OK?????

• Hello gentlemen, 

My apologies for not jumping in earlier. I´m really disappointed that Tanuj´s efforts are met with such an attitude. 

This thread is now closed.

Tanuj, if you feel like posting another thread, please go ahead. If this goes the wrong way again, please let me know () and I will moderate the thread by deleting provocative posts. 

Paul, if you feel like opening a contest yourself, please go ahead. I´m sure that everybody will let you decide about the rules (and if someone doesn´t like them - hey, it´s a contest, you don´t have to take part). 

Thanks, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL