Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,613 users have contributed to 42,366 threads and 255,351 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 72 new user(s).

• Naming Unpreserved Instances

I know VEP is set up so that you create a template, and then leave it there for many projects. But I work song by song, and it's impossible for me to not fiddle with the VEP settings within instruments. So, this means that I rarely ever 'Preserve' instruments. I just reload a lot of instruments when I switch between songs. This is fine, but I am very frustrated that you can't name instances unless they are preserved. Is there any way around this? Or am I going to have to continue shuffling through "Vienna Ensemble Pro Instance" after "Vienna Ensemble Pro Instance" to find the one I want. Yes I know about "Raise". P.S. I suppose this is also a suggestion to Vienna, to allow something as simple as a name change for unpreserved instances in future versions.

• last edited
    last edited

Hello carloscarlson,

The data of your VE PRO instance is always saved with your song. So if you have a preserved instance with slightly different settings and you load a new song, the "arrow" that is explained on the pages 31 and onwards in your VE PRO 5 Manual (in the chapter "Preserve, Decouple, Connect and Disconnect").

This way you can push the data from your sequencer to VE PRO, and you can even set a preference for this in the VE PRO 5 preferences.

Additionally you can also save the VE PRO 5 instance (*.viframe) or, if you have multiple VE PRO 5 instances, the Metaframe that contains all instances (*.mframe).

More details on page 20 ("file formats and information display").

I´m sure you´ll find a good solution for your workflow if you experiment a bit with this system!

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi, it would be really nice to have this option, to name unpreserved instances.

• last edited
    last edited

@carloscarlson said:

Is there any way around this? Or am I going to have to continue shuffling through "Vienna Ensemble Pro Instance" after "Vienna Ensemble Pro Instance" to find the one I want.

Name the viframes. The name of the instance is only meaningful per the DAW. The 'instance' is a container for a viframe and the saved frames are visible in files menu.

I only ever name the instances per the slot number they connect to in Cubase, eg., "1". But the name of the viframe as well as the metaframe describes what [Cubase] project it corresponds with, in addition to eg., "1", and where I might have lost the plot over time, description of what's in it.

I decouple and preserve everything, there is not really this loss of flexibility you have in your imagination, I think. I'm like you, I don't have 'A Template' that stays up, I have frames that go with projects or 'songs' that are played by completely different bands.

Making the DAW recall the data tends to result in a lot more time loading, unless you're working with only a few instruments, and longer save times.