Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,748 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,368 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 75 new user(s).

• SSD Incompressible Data Drive Speeds and VE Pro

While shopping at OWC for Solid State Drives, I noted a significant price difference between a "Mercury Electra" and a "Mercury Extreme Pro" drive.

The more expensive has a much higher "incompressible data" read spec. Describing the difference in a footnote, OWC says, "While any OWC SSD will provide significantly faster performance than a traditional hard drive, the OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G is optimized to handle incompressible (already compressed) file types, like those used by audio, video, photography professionals, for the fastest performance available."

Would this include VE Pro's library? Do I correctly remember that the samples in Vienna Instruments are compressed, and could I expect better performance with this Extreme model? 

Any other SSD recommendations for a Mac Mini or Mac Pro would be welcomed. 

• Is you want better speed it is better to have a raid 0 of ssd

I Have Crucial ssd, a single ssd like an M4 256 gb will have 350 mb/s with a raid 0 of 3 x 64 gb c300 you get 530 mb/s

By the way I have to complain about Crucial support, they are VERY bad. Located in Tunisia they cannot help you if you have a technical question.

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Hi Plowman,

Just wondering if you had a response about the incompressible data? Does the VSL Sample library count as impressible data?

I'm looking for an SSD too. The OCZ Vertex 4 is said to have No compression-related performance limitations and it's cheaper than the OWC Mercury extreme Pro 6G. But i'm not sure if it will be a good fit for a mac. 

Thanks