Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,164 users have contributed to 42,207 threads and 254,681 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Simple question...one larger ssd, or two smaller?

Updating my 2008 Dell Precision 7400 server for VSL. Already installed a 60gb ssd as my system drive, and thusfar really enjoying the improved startup/load speed. Now onto my sample drives.

Reading as much as I can here and elsewhere, I've decided that Raid might not be all that critical. So at this point I am trying to decide if I should install a pair of 256gb ssd's (Crucial CT256M4ssd2) at around $350 each = $700, or a single 512gb ssd (Crucial CT512M4SSD2 512 gb) for around $728.

What would you do?

Thanks!

• a raid 0 of 2 x 256 GB and a SATA III card

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Thanks for the reply. I understand that Raid will improve performance, but is it really necessary? Not that I don't want solid performance, but overall the system performed quite well with my older hard drives. Would a single, larger non Raid ssd for samples (with a separate ssd for OS) perform better than my old setup - which was same motherboard, ram, etc, but I had 3 traditional hard drives...one for OS, two holding my samples (also non Raid).

I'm only thinking along the simpler setup to give myself more room for HD space in the future.

Thanks again. The help is very appreciated.

• 2 x disk or ssd in raid 0 is normally 1.5 I/O throuput, it allows also to reduce the sample preload buffer so you can load much more in samples in memory

More you have disk or ssd faster it is i.e. 4 x 128 GB ssd will give you better througput of course limited by the speed of the SATA card 

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Thanks Cyril. Yes, I understand that multiple disks as well as Raid will improve throughput. I also plan to add an additional drive when funds permit. But would it be safe to assume that going to a single ssd (until I can afford another) will still allow me to greatly reduce the sample preload buffer, thereby allowing me to load many more samples into ram? Has anyone tested to see how low this preload buffer can be set with a single ssd and still get solid results? Would I be able to go to the lowest setting offered by VSL with a single ssd setup (OS on its own drive)?

• With my raid I am at 2048 and my single ssd at 3072 but I dont know if it is the right number

VSL can you give us a way to set the right buffer size ?

In Logic when the EXS player does not has the time to read samples you get a counter in the EXS prefs

• Well, it sounds like even a single ssd will still give me a pretty impressive performance boost. I believe this will allow me much more room as opposed to adding additional ram (currently have 16gb installed).

+1 "VSL can you give us a way to set the right buffer size ?"

• last edited
    last edited

@flying poo said:

"VSL can you give us a way to set the right buffer size ?"

The lowest possible setting that works for you, without giving clicks, would be the best setting. I'll see if I can squeeze some "streaming error" counter onto the VIPro interface.

Thanks

• last edited
    last edited

@flying poo said:

"VSL can you give us a way to set the right buffer size ?"

The lowest possible setting that works for you, without giving clicks, would be the best setting. I'll see if I can squeeze some "streaming error" counter onto the VIPro interface.

Thanks

Hi Martin

That will be great.

Is there is a way to calculate the pre-load buffer size depending your the I/O speed you get with your ssd

Thanks

Best

Cyril

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

Hi Martin

That will be great.

Is there is a way to calculate the pre-load buffer size depending your the I/O speed you get with your ssd

Not really. It mostly has to do with disk access time and usage of "Sample Start Offset" feature of VIPro, which eats into the precache. I'd say, start at the lowest, and increase if you hear any clicks or pops.