Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,325 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,489 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• SSD on Main Machine vs Dedicated Slave - What's Better for VSL VI Performance?

I'm planning a new workstation build based on an Intel x79 board and Sandy Bridge-E CPU once they've been released and are out for a little while. This will become my primary workstation running W7 64 bit and Cubase 6.

What I'm curious about is what would provide better performance (voice counts, etc), a dedicated SSD drive (most likely a Crucial M4 512 GB) on the new workstation, or a dedicated powerful slave machine (core i7 970, 24 GB RAM, samples hosted on Caviar Black drives) connected via VE Pro?

Both options will end up costing about the same amount.. My feeling is that the dedicated slave will offer better performance because of the extra CPU and RAM.. But I haven't had a lot of experience with SSD's yet, so I'd love to hear from anyone that has moved their VSL libraries to SSD's and what kind of performance improvement they saw.

Thanks
    Mike