Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,748 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,368 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 75 new user(s).

• New Windows 7 slave, Dell XPS 8300 or Dell T3500?

I sell one of my two Mac Pro quad core 2.66 16GB Ram, I can't install properly my new SSD's (Snow Leopard neither windows 7, any help????)

I would add my SSD 240 vertex 3 in the two options.

T3500 can hold 4 HD's and XPS 8300 only 2, but i7 it's better than the Xeon, isn't it?

Option A)  DELL XPS 8300 950€

-Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)

-16GB RAM

Option B)  DELL T3500 1160€

-Xeon® W3530 (Quad Core, 2.80 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

-24GB RAM

• Dell is not necessarily the best way to go (though it can work).  What options do you have?

The XPS 8300's limit of two hard drives would be a concern.  As one gets more sample libraries, it is best to spread them out over multiple hard drives.  Since the o/s and programs are generally kept on their own drive, with samples spread over others, long-term, you will be very limited.  While the speed of SSD's change this somewhat, but then the cost/size of SSD's in a two HD setup would leave you with very limited storage.

As for RAM, if you are not going to be doing any large templates 16 gigs could certainly work fairly well.  If, on the other hand, you intend to do large templates, 24 gigs would be the better minimum.

Before buying anything at this point, since you are about to make changes, perhaps revisit what it is that you want to do, and what might best meet your needs for your intended use.  Better to spend money once, than have to rebuy something very soon after.

As for Dell specifically, it seems that better parts are used for their Optiplex/server lines than for their basic home computers.  One potential problem with any mass-produced PC aimed at the generic home market, is that makers use cheaper parts for those machines, and those cheaper parts can sometimes cause problems when put under heavy use for audio.

• I don't know, must I think an HP or other brands.. or buy it from parts?

My dilema is on the micro. T3500 is a good machine, but is good enough front an i7.

My templates are based on Vsl woodwinds I full, Hollywood Brass, Spitfire Percussion and Albion... and others.

I prefer the T3500: more HD space, more RAM...

• last edited
    last edited

I've made this configuration on a WEB.

Is it better than the other two?

Thanks!

The List Here

• Honestly, my suggestion would be to do a lot more research.  In terms of processor power the current i7's are much better than the previous generation i7 950 etc.  The only previous generation chips that will hold their own against the current Sandybridge chips are the six core chips: 980, 990x; and both of those are very expensive.

I cannot help you regarding DAW builders in Spain, perhaps other forum members can.  One suggestion, since you will be using Hollywood Brass among others, if you have not done so, check EW's system requirements/suggestions.  You will want far more than a minimum system for that, as "minimum" will probably not give you what you are seeking.

Also, if you can wait just a couple more weeks (month at most?) the new Sandy Bridge chips that can use 8 ram slots will be released.  If I was just starting to look at building a new system now, unless something unexpected were to happen, that would likely be the best way to go.  Take a look at the about to be released i7 3820, or if budget allows the i7 3930k.  The i7 3960X (and the 3930k) will likely be above your budget.

• Just checked for release dates: the new processors are currently scheduled to be released around November 15 (just a week away).

• But, it will be expensier than the i7 1155 and, more or less, "same speed" (as I read in  tech forums)

I'm confused...

-Wait to 2011 models to go to 24GB Ram with new micro?

-Mount an 1366 socket with 24GB, Older but stable?

-1155 socket with only 16GB RAM with the faster micro of the 3 options?

(At the moment, the only true its that I buy it from parts)

• The main advantage for DAW use of the new chips over the current ones is the additional ram slots, which you may decide that you may or may not need.  Personally (not what may be best for you), I chose to bypass the initial Sandybridge chips because of the ram limitations (16 gigs max, given the premium price of the new 8 gig sticks).  Simply put, for my purposes, with a tri-channel board, 24 gigs of ram proved very necessary, 12 was limiting (on a dual board, given what I am doing, 16 gigs would be iffy).  However, given that I use MIR SE (32 tracks max), and don't use any demanding plugins at this point, my i7 930 does quite fine.  But, I am not trying to run HB, HS, 100+ tracks, demanding plugins, and the like.

Ultimately, that is why I keep strongly suggesting you do your own research.  A system that does everything one user needs, may be the totally wrong system for someone else.  Among VSL users, some use it on less powerful systems than mine, while the "power" users have systems well beyond mine.  I am not comfortable suggesting you buy "X" or "Y" system for that reason.  Generally speaking, if I was looking to run some of the libraries you are running/intending to run (libraries I do not personally own by the way), it seems to me that being limited to 16 gigs of ram could be an issue.

• last edited
    last edited

@jaumepardalito said:

I sell one of my two Mac Pro quad core 2.66 16GB Ram, I can't install properly my new SSD's (Snow Leopard neither windows 7, any help????)

I would add my SSD 240 vertex 3 in the two options.

T3500 can hold 4 HD's and XPS 8300 only 2, but i7 it's better than the Xeon, isn't it?

Option A)  DELL XPS 8300 950€

-Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)

-16GB RAM

Option B)  DELL T3500 1160€

-Xeon® W3530 (Quad Core, 2.80 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

-24GB RAM

You will do better and cheaper if you build it yourself.   That is the one advantage of PCs - you can create a system on your own without paying a company to do it for you.  So I would say forget Dell and create a system from parts - just like they do.  But don't pay them!

• Thanks guys.

I think I'll wait for new micros and systems... I need more than 16GBm, that's for sure. I want a machine to run VSL Woodwinds I L2 matrix, Strings (Lass & Cinematic Strings) Hollywood Brass and Spitfire Percussion.

In the DAW machine (Mac Pro 1,1 QuadCore 2,66 16GB) I'm running Albion, Harp, Orchestral runnings and some generalist patches from HollywoodWinds, Cineorch..etc...

•  If you use SSD you may not need more than 16GB.

DG

• I've one SSD vertex 2 120gb, but still on performance testing. If the ssd works fine in the Mac Pro I wil not buy another computer. Do you now any serious SSD speed test? (OSX)

One of the reasons to think in a new windows PC is that VSL crew admits that Vienna ensemble works better in windows 7.

• Update on the new chips: it looks like the release date for the locked version (the only inexpensive one) has been pushed back to Feb. 2012.  The ones to be released on the 14th will be the $500 range one and the $1000 range one.  Also, some early testing by DAW builders have uncovered some latency issues with the new chips.  It seems that running at 256 ms is causing some strange audio errors.

I have not looked into that in any detail (info is from v.i. control, a very good source), but depending on the extent of the latency issue, that could be a real caution at the moment, until such time as it gets sorted out.  There can be very good reasons for going with slightly older technology that is known to work well.

If you can afford multiple SSD's, given that the forthcoming VSL software updates will allow for adjusting the buffer size, maybe, as DG pointed out, you might be ok with 16 gigs.

• This make me go, again, to the first post! hahaha 

1155 Technology with 16GB or

1366 Techonology with 24GB....

Only to use with Vienna ensemble as a host of Vienna Instruments and Kontakt 5...

Both with my OCZ vertex 2 128GB and its possible with a new SSD 240GB sata 3 (OCZ, Corsair...)

I hope any VSL staff could help me!

Thanks all for your time.

Jaume

• Reading the issues in new micros... it's better wait new ones in february or perhaps  build an actual i7...

Where do you in europe can buy 8GB ram sticks more affordable?

or its better use 16GB and spend the money in SSD's?

What's your experience? I know there's a lot of people waiting to build new PC's...

(again, sorry for my english)