Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,260 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,473 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• CPU Speed vs Amount of RAM for VE Pro Slave

I'm planning a new PC slave build to run VSL and Kontakt libraries inside of VE Pro. For around the same price (within $30 of each other), I can either go with a new Sandy Bridge build (i7 2600K, 16 GB dual channel RAM), or a first gen i7 build (i7 950, 24 GB triple channel RAM). The 2600K is newer tech and a much faster processor, but the 950 is still a fast proc and I can have 24 GB of RAM.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 950 build for the extra RAM (the 8 GB DIMMS for the 2600K are out of the question because of cost). Has anyone tested similar systems? Any info is much appreciated..

Thanks!

Mike

• How soon will you need the system? 

If you can delay for a couple months, tri-channel Sandy Bridge processors are supposed to be out before the end of the year, and that would be the way to go, if possible.  The Sandy Bridge chips require a different MOBO than the i9xx processors, so to buy an i960 now, and then upgrade later to the newer Sandy Bridge chips will require additional expense.  As for processing power, only the 6 core i970-980 can hold their own against the current mid-range (and less expensive) quad-core Sandy Bridge chips.  Sandy Bridge was a major leap forward.

As for the 16 gig ram limitation of the current Sandy Bridge chips, what sort of template do you think you will be trying to create?  If you intend to use several of the full libraries, 24 gigs has significant advantages over 16 gigs.  For users with larger templates (not myself at this point), 24 gigs seems to be the norm.

If you absolutely have to build now, if you could afford the i980 (it has dropped in price to about $600 IIRC), that would be the way to go.  Certainly the i960 would be a good choice (the i950 is not a current chip).  Personally, I would stay away from the dual-channel ram chips, as memory is so critical to the number of samples you can load.

• Thanks for the reply.. You have a good point about timing and maybe waiting a little while. I've seen that boards with the X79 chipset for the Sandy Bridge-E processors will have 8 DIMM slots, which will be cheap to load up with 32 GB of RAM (8 x 4 GB DIMMS).. And I've just been reading that Intel has pushed up the release of the SB-E processors to mid through late November.

Looks like I'll be waiting another month or so..

• Do not forget that VSL is quite I/O demanding too.

Since I use a SSD it is night and day

Also with VE pro 5 you will be able to set the preload buffer size, so you will need less RAM if you have fast I/O (ssd, raid ....)

If you can, it is wise to wait for VE pro 5 to see how it is acting

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

Also with VE pro 5 you will be able to set the preload buffer size, so you will need less RAM if you have fast I/O (ssd, raid ....)

If you can, it is wise to wait for VE pro 5 to see how it is acting

VE Pro 5 has nothing to do with the pre-load buffer size. That is determined by the plug hosted in VE Pro. For Kontakt users, reducing the pre-load buffer is already possible. For Vienna Users that means that this feature will not be available until VI Pro 2 is released, and that is unlikely to happen until VE Pro 5 has already been released.

• Sorry DG I do not understand !

I am only talking of VSL lib ;) (for me it is non sence to put Kontakt and others into VE/VI, It is adding more CPU pressure as you are adding one level to the foreign AU ; In my setup I have put them into Logic) 

From my discussion we had with VSL it will be only possible to set the pre-load buffer size once for the whole VSL collection

I have heard that VI pro 2 is allready working and we need VE PRO 5 that will integrate VI 2 and MIR PRO or do you have to say we wait Mir Pro that wil integrate VE PRO 5 and VI PRO 2 ;o)

For me I will be happy to be able to use VI 2 now and to wait the "couple of month"for the rest

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Cyril, from my understanding these are various different things:

1. VE Pro 5 is necessary for MIR Pro, but has nothing to do with VI Pro 2
    2. VI Pro will be tested with VE Pro 5 but does not rely exclusively on it, so it has to work with all hosts and will therefore need to be tested with them.
    3. Putting Kontakt into VE Pro may be a nonsense for you, but there are many customers who use VE pro who have never used any other VSL product. For these customers it needs to be tested with Kontakt, Omnisphere and all the rest of the commonly used virtual instruments out there.
    4. VE Pro 5 will be released in advance of MIR Pro, because it would make no sense to delay the release when many of the customers have no interest in MIR Pro (and even the ones who do, may not want to pay the added cost).

Personally I would think that VE Pro will be released during the next couple of months, and VI Pro 2 some time after that. So you won't be able to reduce your pre-load buffer until then.

DG