Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,457 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,079 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Waltz for Vienna

last edited
    last edited
    Ok, I went to this group, "can´t-stop-posting-mp3´s anonymous", and I really followed the steps, but always after the third step I failed and had to start all over again. So I made a waltz out of it.
    And then I saw in the VSL´s licence agreement that it is mandatory to post, whenever a waltz is realized with their library. So what shall I do?

It´s here: (10mb)
    www.audionomio.de/mp3/WalzerOrch_mix13.mp3

Everything VSL Opus1, except:
    Piano: The Grand
    Bassclarinet: GPO
    2. Bassoon: Dan Dean
    Counterbassoon (my beloved): Dan Dean
    Motorsirene: Project Sam freebies from website
    String pizzicatos and staccatos doubled with Halion string edition

I was quite experimental with the orchestration, and not everything works the way I imagined but it was a great lecture again.
    Some people think immediatly of the music to the film "Amélie", but this one is definitly better, that´s for sure. [[;)]]

I hope you enjoy it and are not too annoyed by my posting,
    best regards,
    - Mathis

• Mathis,

I have not downloaded this yet but am very interested. Annoyed? Are you kidding? I am eager to hear it, but you must make allowances for LTI users.

p.s.
    LTI = Low Tech Internet [:'(]

• Mathis,

Double post

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

But then! You went back to your Pink Floyd roots again didn't you.

[:O]ops: [:D]

Hey Paul, thanks!
    I don´t know if I really like your association to the Oktoberfest though... [8-)] I mean, the music they play there is really bad.
    But you didn´t mean that, did you? [[;)]]

Thanks for your nice response!
    Bests,
    - Mathis

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Mathis,

I just listened to this a few moments ago. Great fun! Very well done and fun orchestrating. Up to 2.05 I imagined myself at the Munich Beer Festival, or at least somewhere in Bavaria.

But then! You went back to your Pink Floyd roots again didn't you. Whats with the air-raid siren? Having said that, it seemed to fit quite well, coming out with a nice Ennio Morricone bell. Dong!

Really good stuff and I could imagine that put to a scene of comedy and pathos. Or to a film such as The Fearless Vampie Killers (Polanski).

Loved it!

Bests

Paul

• Oops, what´s going on?...

• I mean, the music they play there is really bad.
    But you didn´t mean that, did you? [[;)]]- Mathis[/quote]

Depends on how much you've had to drink. Bit like women really.

No worries. Its really good. I'm listening to it again as I write. Why the air-raid siren though? What was your thinking behind this? I'm interested to know.

I screwed up an edited post. Don't worry. I realised that the film name had 'Fearless' in it afterwards, and I remembered later. That sort of thing would bug me for hours if I didn't correct it. [:O]ops:

Bests

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Depends on how much you've had to drink. Bit like women really.
    [:D] (You nasty boy!)

The B-part is about glissandi and when I heard this air-raid sirene I thought this is a perfect glissando-instrument which makes it even more strange.

I know, I know, I´m quite similar with mistakes lurking in the back of the head until they´re corrected. It´s annoying sometimes, isn´t it? I mean there are people out there which give a shit on mistakes.

Bests,
    - M

• [quote=mathis]The B-part is about glissandi and when I heard this air-raid sirene I thought this is a perfect glissando-instrument which makes it even more strange./quote]

Mathis

I'm not sure if I completely believe you on this. However, I'll take it as read, unless you care to ellaborate. [[;)]]

Bests

Paul

• Ok, Paul, now YOU make me curious.
    What is your assumption, your interpretation for this air-raid sirene? You seem to have something very specific in your mind...

After thinking about it I admit I like your imagination of the Oktoberfest. Actually after I was programming the trumpet duett I thought this sounds really drunk (with all this portamentos introduced by the perfomance patch). I chuckled to myself and accepted it as is. [[;)]]

Bests,
    - M

• last edited
    last edited

@mathis said:

Ok, Paul, now YOU make me curious.
    What is your assumption, your interpretation for this air-raid sirene? You seem to have something very specific in your mind...

No, no Mathis. Nothing really specific. I'm listening to it again now and being interrupted from people from my office. I can feel a firing spree coming on. Just kidding.

Anyway, I think I may be addicted to this piece and probably need to seek some help. [[;)]] It makes me think of another scene from a film actually, which will come to me in a few seconds.

Bests

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Anyway, I think I may be addicted to this piece

Oh, boy, follow the steps!

• I've remembered Mathis. Film called Legend.(Ridley Scott)

There's a scene when the girl dances in front of the Devil and the music is a waltz. Thats what yours could easily go with. It has that kind of edge. I'm not comparing, mark you.

Anyway, very good stuff in my view and keep them coming if you have the time. [:D]

Bests

Paul

• last edited
    last edited
    I was just cleaning my flat and while hoovering the floor I started wondering, hm, where´s William by the way? But it needed hoovering behind the washing machine to finally understand what LTI means. Man, William, sorry, I forgot completely that you´re on a MODEM!
    To post a 10mb file is really nasty then. So I made this 128kbit file, still 4mb, but it´s quite a difference. Unfortunatly also in sound. But.... anyway.
    Here it is:
    www.audionomio.de/mp3/WalzerOrch_mix13_LTI.mp3
    (B.t.w., I silently changed the link above to a new mix with some tiny mix corrections, nothing fancy. Just spreading the strings a bit more, I felt they´re too narrow.)

Paul, both films I haven´t seen, but you make quite curious. And indeed it´s that kind of edge which interests me. To hear that it seems to work feels great.
    Thanks again,
    - Mathis

(next one is already in progress, so stay tuned [:)] But my girlfriend comes over the weekend so it will take some more time...
    I´m doing these pieces for a Demo-CD. What I´m missing is a really beautiful adagio. I hope I can take that seriously [[;)]] I´m not really a romanticist...
    Then I will do again more electronic things again and finish some tango-esque works. So this mp3-posting era will stop naturally)

• Mathis,

I downloaded the big file (while busy with other stuff) and listened - this is really good! I thought it was imaginative, and even a little bizarre - kind of a macabre, Elfman-like tone to it. Were you trying for that? I was trying to figure out that middle section. It is oddly interesting. As if some people are stopped in their festivities and looking up anxiously at the sky, waiting. Just an impression. Congratulations on some fine work here! I definitely want to hear more of what you do.

Sincerely,
    William

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

- kind of a macabre, Elfman-like tone to it. Were you trying for that?

Hi William,

Thanks for listening and glad that you liked it. While, yes I was going for a kind of obscure, macabre thing, I can´t answer if I intended it Elfman-like, since I know almost nothing by him. I have to admit that I was pretty ignorant up to now about filmmusic. It changed very recently.
    But it makes me very curious. What Elfman scores do you recommend listening to?

Your picture of the people looking in the sky, waiting, I like it very much. Actually the state of waiting was always part and topic of my artistic work.
    I´m also an (art) filmmaker (yes,... I´ve got my fingers in every pie... [8-)] ) and waiting is my favourite thing. Nothing is happening. That´s life, isn´t it! [:D]

Of course I gladly comply to your wish! Maybe it´s interesting what I do besides these orchestral things.
    I have two strong influences, backgrounds: Tango and "avantgarde" electronic music. Strange combination, isn´t it?

I´m currently finishing the recording of a tango-esque Suite for Bandoneon, Violin, Guitar and string orchestra. It´s called "Waiting for the Tango" (does it ring a bell [[[;)]]] )
    Here´s the 2nd part of three, "Lento". Well, basically, like the title suggests, the slow part. The state of waiting.
    www.audionomio.de/mp3/Lento_mix7.mp3 (6mb)
    Bandoneon, Violin and Guitar is real (I´m the guitar player), and strings are unfortunatly my old HSE. I did the string track before I had Opus1.

And then I have a strange obsession with timestretching. I made a series of pieces for which I recorded impovisation sessions with musicians and used this material to create a collage (Ethik B [[[;)]]] ). And I really love the sound of enormous timestretching (I´m talking about 3200 percent and such). (It´s in part3)
    Here are the first and third part of my last timestretching work, with vibraphon. So everything you hear, is pure Vibraphon, no synth or such added. I skipped the second part because I´m not really happy with that anymore and so I save some bandwidth. The third part mp3 begins with the last two notes of part 2.
    www.audionomio.de/mp3/TT_Vibraphon_part1.mp3 (5mb)
    www.audionomio.de/mp3/TT_Vibraphon_part3.mp3 (6mb)

This is quite different stuff, I guess. So I´m very curious to your reactions.
    Bests,
    - Mathis

• Mathis,

Fascinating piece with the vibraphone - at first I didn't know what to think but then I began to notice the intricate rhythmic embellishments in the first part, reminiscent of your use of the snare drum part on the drama. It becomes hypnotic, like a strange little dance of some odd-looking robots. (Sorry to always picture things - it should probably just remain abstract, though I also am a filmmaker and can't help it. In fact this could be the soundtrack for a computer animated short.) Anyway, the last part is very atonal with some unique textures. I can see how you would get obsessed with the time stretching. It creates a new world of sound. I think you should go ahead with this full steam, because it is some very original and interesting work.

• Thank you very much for listening and your encouragement, William.
    I like your picturing. What kind of films are you doing?

This third Vibraphon part is actually my first experiment with microtonality. First I had a chromatic version but was disappointed by the non-exciting and very harmless dissonances. Then I started to tune my samples in quarter- and eighthtones which I find very exciting now! I hope to make some orchestral microtonal experiments soon. Most microtonal music I know is just badly tuned tonal music. But in this application as increased dissonance inside chords I really like it.
    (While speaking of pictures: I have the imagination of a melting vibraphon in this piece...)

Thanks again,
    - Mathis

• Microtonalities are extremely interesting to me also. I realized a while ago one of my problems with atonal music is not dissonance, but chromatic dissonance. It is too limited in its effect. Most of it merely contradicts tonality. But microtonality is completely different and creates a new kind of harmony.

• completely agreed! [:D]