Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,164 users have contributed to 42,207 threads and 254,681 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Linking two PCs with different Bit-Structure by means of VEPro

Hello, I would like to make the step into the realm of 64 Bit architecture in combination with VSL. I would normally have to update my cubase version which is still SX 2 and my recordingcard which is still Hammerfall HDSP 9652 (the old one, for which – acc. to RME – no 64 Bit drivers will be built anymore). As updating, upgrading and installing all new stuff needs quite some money, I plan the following set up, which probably allows me to make two affordable steps out of one big one. I keep my old system as the Master PC / Win XP Pro (32 Bit) CPU PIV, 2.4 GHz, ASUS P4T533-C, 1 GB RDAM allowing a FSB of 1066 MHz, 2 HDDs, in oder to continue use of Cubase SX 2 which runs very stable, and in order to continue use of RME HDSP 9652. Additionally some smaller VSTi/Fx can be used on this PC. I buy a second PC and use it as the Slave PC / Windows 7 (64 Bit) CPU I7 – 920, 8 GB RAM, Gigabyte EX58 –UD5, 3 HDDs, in oder to perform with VSL Special Edition Now my question: Is it possible to connect those 2 PCs be means of VE Pro through an Ethernet Gigabit Lan? Master on 32 Bit – Slave at 64 Bit? Or must both PCs be on the same Bit-architecture? Are there other problems related to this setup ? Any advice is wellcome. Jürgen

• Assuming that VE Pro woks with SX2 and your PC, you should be able to connect them using VE Pro. Expect to have to get Network cards though, as the onboard LAN may cause dropouts at low latency.

DG

• Hello DG, thank you for your advice. The use of extra ethernet – cards ist understood and can easily be arranged. VSL statement is: Run your sequencer on your main computer, launch Vienna Ensemble PRO on the slave computer, and simply connect them using an Ethernet cable. Is anybody here, who has experience, whether this works between Master PC (32 Bit) with Cubase SX2 – and Slave PC (64 Bit) with VEPro?

• last edited
    last edited

welcome hoerspielwerkstatt,

doesn't matter which bit-ness or operating system you have on the beginning and end of the ethernet cable ... it connects.

just keep in mind 64bit VE PRO slave cn only use 64bit plugins, but you can start both (32 and 64 bit) on your 64 bit slave.

ethernet connection using a cable requires gigabit, cable length of at least 1 mt and appropriate IP addresses on both sides.

get the demo license to check it out ... christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thank you christian, will try that, when my windows 7 sw has arrived. The slave is reserved for VSL, so I will take the VEPro 64 Bit. The master will have some 32 bit VSTi.

• I have a quick question in the same vein as this.. I want to run Cubase 5 32bit on Win7 64bit, would I be able to use VE Pro 64bit on the same system in order to use all my ram?

• that's possible, launch VE PRO 64bit server on the local machine and then connect from C5 32bit to localhost

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.