Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,164 users have contributed to 42,207 threads and 254,681 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• An alternative method to work in Logic with Vienna Instruments

Hi, and happy new year to everyone. This Christmas' present to myself was the DVD collection of Vienna Special Edition. It's really impressive the whole VSL works. So, I watched most presentation videos, witch are very helpfull, but I want your help, because I want to work with an alternative method in Logic. The thing is, I 'm not the best keyboard player in the world :-) So, I prefer to record my music, not by playing it in real time, but, writing the score in eg. finale or score editor of logic and then, having it as midi informations, to record as audio. I'm not sure, how to make the "patch changes" in a perform. E.G in the same channel, I want to play the first 12 notes with the legato, then change to staccato for the next 3 notes and then change again in pizz, etc. Can I add an event (in event list) with patch change, or a controller change? And what controller? Is somewhere an example for something like this? And a couple of other points: A. The marketing (or what) team, who decided the products range of VSL, must have in their minds how to confuse and give a headache to customers :-) Now, after many reading and so, it's clear to me, but in the beginning, the DVD collections (special edition) with standard, extended, plus, full etc, was an absolute mess!!! B. What I have to do, to load the demo "VSL_SE_Demo01_OSX_Sequencer_Data_v2" in logic 9? Some of the folders described in the readme file such "Impulse Responses" does not exists in "MacHD/Library/Application Support/Logic/" who should be. Do i have to create the dirs, and put the corresponded files in there? C. Is it preferable to work with many instances of VI standalone in logic, or maybe, to load all my orchestra to Vienna Ensemble (but how to use it in logic?) Thank you anyway, and I'm happy to be here!

• Why paragraphs, don't appear? I was pressing "enter" where they should be... Sorry...

• last edited
    last edited

@axrst said:

Why paragraphs, don't appear? I was pressing "enter" where they should be... Sorry...

VSL forum not Mac friendly - been like it for 2 years!  (used to work OK) space space

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

Happy New Year axrst,

I can't answer all of your questions but maybe I can enlighten you on a few things,

@axrst said:

I'm not sure, how to make the "patch changes" in a perform. E.G in the same channel, I want to play the first 12 notes with the legato, then change to staccato for the next 3 notes and then change again in pizz, etc. Can I add an event (in event list) with patch change, or a controller change? And what controller? Is somewhere an example for something like this?

I don't work with logic but I assume it has a piano roll feature where you can manually insert the notes of your score?  I don't think Logic is notation software; it's just a sequencer so I would work specifically in the piano roll view to do your composing and forget about trying to insert notes in a staff view.  Unless you are using notation software just play or program everything in the piano roll view.  In VI in the Control Edit view, you should see all of the keyswitches for each patch that is loaded in your matrix.  Find the keyswitches for Legato Stac and Pizz.  Then you simply program those notes into the piano roll of your sequencer.  Beware, VSL uses C4 as middle C but your sequencer might recognize something else like C5.  If this is the case, you will have to compensate your programing accordingly.

This, from Beat Kaufmann's site, might explain some things for you http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/vitipstricks1/index.php

You'll see it in the "Learning Resources" section of the VSL site.

Re: controllers, You can change patches with the controllers on your keyboard but I'd only do that if you you're only dealing with two to three patches otherwise you'll drive yourself to drinking trying to get it just right.  In the Control Edit view click on the little drop down arrow in the upper horizontal bar which controls your keyswitches then I think it's CC controller.  The controllers on your keyboard are usually reserved for controlling dynamics, for example, right click on the fader you want to control , Vel X Fade, Expression, Attack, then physically move any controller on your keyboard such as the mode wheel.

Somebody else will have to help you for the rest of your questions.

Good luck.

• last edited
    last edited

jasensmith wrote:

@Another User said:

I don't think Logic is notation software; it's just a sequencer so I would work specifically in the piano roll view to do your composing and forget about trying to insert notes in a staff view.

Logic is definitely a lot more than just a sequencer. [;)]

The score features in Logic are quite comprehensive and I always use the score window to insert keyswitches to change articulations eg from staccato to pizz etc. The keyswitch notes are usually very low or very high notes, so I use an 8va clef so that they display more clearly. I also use the note colour function to make all keyswitch notes red (or whatever you prefer) so that they stand out easily. I even insert text under the keyswitch notes (eg pizz / porta / etc) to remind myself what is currently selected.

For controlling other functions such as Velocity Crossfade, I use control data which can be easily displayed using Logic's Hyperdraw - just choose a CC number that is not being used and set this to whatever function you need for VSL use.

• last edited
    last edited

@axrst said:

Is it preferable to work with many instances of VI standalone in logic, or maybe, to load all my orchestra to Vienna Ensemble (but how to use it in logic?)

Some tips:

In Logic's Arrange window, click the [+] button near the top of the track list. A window will open to allow you to add new tracks.

Type in a number (eg 8 for 8 MIDI channels/instruments), check Multi-timbral, and click [Create]

Logic will make new channel strips which are "clones" of each other - they are all the same except for the MIDI channels which will run from 1-8 etc. Now choose Vienna Ensemble in the first one and you'll see they all "load" VE - but really only one instance of VE will be open. Now you can record on each channel, and do Automation etc, but each strip will send to a different channel in VE.

Hope this helps - Colin

• Thank you all for your answers, they're very helpfull...