Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,255 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,473 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• What is this percussion instrument?

Hi all,

To learn and improve I often listen to various soundtracks, and I stumpled upon this one percussion sound I'd find really sweet to have in my music.

http://www.hunermund.dk/external/perc.mp3

I own the Special Edition Percussion set already, but havn't had any luck finding that sound. Can anyone tell me what this instrument is and where I can find it?

Thanks in advance,

- Mark

• Hi Mark

Could it be quickly closed piatti in conjunction with a short drum roll of types?

Colin

•  Sounds alot like a short cresc on a steel plate.

Cheers.

• Thanks for both replies! Any idea where I can get these sounds? Are they in SE Percussion?

• I don't think you'll find either of the above suggestions in the SE Perc but it still hasn't been established for sure what the instrument is. From what is the excerpt from?

Colin

• It's from the Tomb Raider Underworld soundtrack (by Colin O'Malley and Troels Folmann). Had to cut out only that short piece to avoid copyright issues. But now that I think about it's released as free :D

More precisely it's "Arctic Sea - Out of Time" and the entire soundtrack can be downloaded at www.tombraiderchronicles.com if anybody has interest in it.