Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,277 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,477 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Darth vader theme orchestrated

Hi every one.

I need some advices for i'm not good at mixing instruments, although it's almost impossible to have the perfect result i'm sure there are some tips you could give me to improve one part or another.

so thanks by advance,

this is my first shot so please be nice [:$]

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200906/cijkTEFMcc.mp3

• These are just my thoughts and opinions...

First of all, I liked the music that was being played by each section/instrument.  Did you re-create this piece by ear, or did you use a MIDI file created by somebody else?  Did you use a DAW such as Cubase to do this, or a notation program such as Sibelius?

Sound-wise, I thought it lacked some depth.  It sounded a little "flat."  I think if you apply increasing amounts of reverb to different sections of the orchestra, (strings, winds, brass, percussion, in that order), adjust the volumes of each section to reflect their virtual distance from the listener, and roll off some high frequencies as instruments move farther away, it will add more depth to the piece, and it will sound "bigger" and more interesting.  

• Hi Nicolas

Sounds really good but I agree with Gary that it could sound "bigger" with difffering reverb depths. To my ears it sounds like a smallish orchestra in the pit at the theatre. Nevertheless, an enjoyable listen. Good luck

Colin

• Hi Every One,

Thanks you very much for you comment et precious help.

I will try to test some reverbs placements but i'm limited by my cpu (2 x 2,66 Ghz imac)

I would add that the idea was more to recreate this kind of vintage sounding you can hear on the empire Strikes Back original recording, so i use the 20 th century fox impulse at 13 meters, but indeed i only have one instance opened (playing for each section with the prefader send fx)

Anyway thanks again, i was afraid the comments would focalize on the articulation weakness...

Anybody else?

Thanks again guys.

Best regards,

Nicolas

• last edited
    last edited

@nicolas.soulat_8658 said:

i was afraid the comments would focalize on the articulation weakness...

Nicolas.. some of the best composers posting their work here will betray themselves from time to time, especially IMO, during rapid string passages. To my ears your Darth sounds really good. Hopefully one of the aforementioned will give you some feedback.

Colin

• I agree with the comments already posted. The programming is very good and has few of those 'organ effect' moments where it's obvious that samples are used. There are some moments on the brass where is sounds like you should be using a slightly shorter articulation but I don't think this is a big problem.

The weakest area is the mix - it sounds too dry. The original score was recorded at Anvil and Abbey Road so there's no need to feel that you have to select the Fox scoring stage - why not try some other options? Also IMHO the woodwinds sound a little too loud at times.

It's really a good effort though - well done!

Martin

•  Yes thanks very much for these informations.

I try to use several altiverb instances yesterday but i'm a little lost, what are the basic rules?

1°) For a section should i use a stereo impulse?, for a solo instruments like piano or Harp a mono impulse?

2°) Should i use deiffrent distances by sections (8meters stereo for flutes and 13 meters for trumpets for example) or should i use one impulse and set the speakers positions?

3°) Are there any rules setting the low, mid and high damp, are those are useful ?

Thanks very much by advance beacause i'm moving like a blind man on the altiverb universe not knowing if set that or this button is good or not, and my ears are not well trained.

Thanks again

Best regards,

Nicolas

• Sorry Nicolas...I can't offer you much in the way of technical advice as, like your own, my ears aren't too well trained either.

A lot of users aren't too impressed by the stage position speakers and tend to use 4 different reverbs for the different sections and another one for the overall orchestra. You can then use power panning to give your instruments/instrument sections the desired width within the stereo field. Maybe one of the more tech-minded will point you in the right direction.

Colin

• Hi Nicholas,

There are no hard and fast rules. If it sounds good then it's right! In answer to your questions (and these are only my answers - other people will have their own way of doing things);

1. I would use stereo impulses for everything as the samples are in stereo.

2. I use an instance of AV for each depth on the stage rather than an instance for each section. I've had good results using the same impulse for each depth but changing the speaker position AND using different impulses for each depth - just try it and see what sounds best to you. Many people mix and match different stages and still get good results.

3. I don't normally mess around with the hi/mid/low damp, but many people turn off the tail on the instances for each section and then insert another instance with only the tail (no early reflections) on the whole orchestra.

Good luck and happy tweaking!

Martin

•  Wow thanks very much for your tips.

The problem is that if i spend too much time setting depth or stage positions i always have the impression that it sounds good, then i listen few minutes later, and it's just awfull.

My ears gets used to the mix too easily and i just don't have any reference (for example do you use a paricular song or mix to fits your settings?

For now the first conclusion is that i get better and clearer sounds using one instance as a send fx with pre fader and adjusting the volume of each depth.

When i come to use stage positioning i always feel that the sounds is too blurry and muddy.

Anyone have some comments?

Anyway thanks you all for you help,

Best regards,

Nicolas[:)][Y]

•  Wow thanks very much for your tips.

The problem is that if i spend too much time setting depth or stage positions i always have the impression that it sounds good, then i listen few minutes later, and it's just awfull.

My ears gets used to the mix too easily and i just don't have any reference (for example do you use a paricular song or mix to fits your settings?

For now the first conclusion is that i get better and clearer sounds using one instance as a send fx with pre fader and adjusting the volume of each depth.

When i come to use stage positioning i always feel that the sounds is too blurry and muddy.

Anyone have some comments?

Anyway thanks you all for you help,

Best regards,

Nicolas[:)][Y]

• ups sorry for the double.

I would just add this question :

On vienna ensemble do i have to set pan twice? (on the instrument and on the bus where the instrument is redirected?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Nicolas

•  Nicolas, just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed listening to this very much. Nice work!

- Can you tell me which libraries you used, please? I'm curious!

Best regards,

Henrik

• Hi Henrik,

Thanks very much :

here is antoher version which maybe sounds more large and clean that the previous.

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200906/cijar2oFEJ.mp3

I used exclusively Special edition, special edition plus, and orchestral strings I.

Hope this one is a better shot.

Thanks again.

Nicolas

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on