Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,670 users have contributed to 42,366 threads and 255,356 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 75 new user(s).

• Why is VSL forsaking Mac PPC users

First the VS Convolution verb for Intel Only. Now the vienna imperial is listed as Intel Only, AND only for OSX Leopard 10.5.

Are your trying to alienate your loyal customers, or what?

>:(

> michael

• They don't support Windows 95 either.:>(

Seriously, I'm afraid that it is going to happen more and more with all software developers. As soon as Snow Leopard is released many people such as yourself will have to upgrade if you want to stay current. I guess the market for PPC is shrinking all the time, and the developers would have to stop supporting it at some point.

Regarding the Imperial, do you think that your computer is powerful enough? If performance is going to be so bad, then it makes no sense to spend development time on it. notice that there is no Windows version of Vienna Ensemble for RTAS.

DG

• Well, I am writing this on a G5 ... - Mac user for years .... <br><br>

Well, why not first complain to Apple - snow leopard will not be available for PPC and this means the end of development - especially for software that will take advantage of 64bit, better multi-porcessoring etc. At some point - even if the manufacturer more or less ended support for some products it does not make sense to support them ... VSL is much smaller than Apple (I think) and the have to plan and manage their ressources ... so, I am not happy about that, but I understand it.<br><br>

in terms of the convo reverb - it is a subset of MIR (in some way) which will only be available for Intel-CPUs as it looks like, so,  economically, it might not have been to useful to port it to PPC .... <br><br>

Of course the comparison with Win95 is quite ... well .... 

best

• last edited
    last edited

@mplaster said:

First the VS Convolution verb for Intel Only. Now the vienna imperial is listed as Intel Only, AND only for OSX Leopard 10.5.

Are your trying to alienate your loyal customers, or what?

😠

> michael

Up to now, everything that VSL has brought out could run on OS X.4. What exactly is it about Vienna Imperial that requires us Tiger users to "upgrade" to Leopard?

Colin

• To be honest when we talk about PPC we are talking about ONE computer - the PowerMac G5 - let's face the G5 iMac + any G4 system would be pretty useless at running anything more than a few VSL tracks (plus reverbs etc)

So I fully understand that instead of Doubling the amount of coding effort (in order to benefit a smaller and ever shrinking market) the VSL team are instead optimizing their code for the far more powerful intel chips of now and future generation Macs.

Virtual orchestration one of the most demanding applications for a computer - requires lots of RAM, multiple fast drives, fast FSB, fast CPU. Why go to all the effort to support a legacy processor architecture when the rewards of concentrating the x86 architecture are so much greater?

Sell your G5 and get an 8 core Mac Pro - the performance difference is phenomenal and will improve as software becomes increasingly multi-core aware.

• last edited
    last edited

@steff3 said:

VSL is much smaller than Apple (I think)
     well, that could easily be true ;-)

indeed the culprit is the convolver, related to it threading and (at least with MIR) memory assignment, memory bus speed, processor's calcuation units.

as far as i read the docs snow-leo will be available for PPC, but without 64bit kernel functions.

rumours say Vienna Imperial could also run on 10.4 (intel), but this would be out of the specs and not supported.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • >> as far as i read the docs snow-leo will be available for PPC, but without 64bit kernel functions. >> well, I think a rather bad thing ... using MacOS since version 7.5 I think Leopard is the worst version until now ...overbloated like an OS from another company ... It would be great if they would throw out all the old code - PPC/unicode nonsense and maybe 32bit and sell new copies of SnowLeopard with a license for Leopard, so that people who need PPC or such things could install Leopard .... An OS that uses 10-20 GB HD space and is significantly faster with 4 GB vs 2GB Ram seems rather very badly programmed - I am talking about the OS alone ... So I hope SnowLeopard bring dramatic improvements here ... I think they are terribly needed ... best

•  steff, you may want to set your editor to *enhanced* (profile - community) to allow better formatting in case you're on safari ...

agree - overbloated, as the current OS from the *other* company ... can't agree on dropping unicode, which was a real gift for platform independent code ...

as BSD user at that time when the beta came out for X i've been excited about this development, just to find out later that when OS X began to be usable with 10.2 i could no longer run it on my (not so old) iMac.

generally i'm hoping urgently that SnowLeo and W7 will show improvement for near-realtime applications as needed for sample based audio, but i have the nasty feeling we should start to watch out for some completely other and performance oriented OS (or OS version)

christian

• Sorry, did not mean Unicode - need that and use it all the time ... meant UB (univeral binaries), which is only making apps bigger and one really does not need it in 99% of the use scenarios ... An installer could easily check for the processor and just install what is needed ....
    performance oriented OS ... well, once upon a time there was an OS which was programmed to Be great, to Be multimedia, to Be efficient ... but that was a long time ago .... a shame it went away and Apple did not allow them to run on Macs anymore ....
    best
    Steff

•  ;-) under observation: http://www.haiku-os.org/ formerly OpenBeOS