Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,990 users have contributed to 42,373 threads and 255,398 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 79 new user(s).

• Is There a Muted Horn (solo or ensemble) In Vienna Somewhere?

Came across the need today and don't see it in my standard library (which I didn't expect) ;)

Thanks

Tom

• Look for the "stopped" Horn.

• This is weird. I see "Horn A4 Stopped" on my drive but I am not seeing any "Stopped" patches in the Brass section in Vienna.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Tom,

the stopped articulations are available with the Extended Library of Brass I only, here is a link to the sample content.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • But stopped is not muted. Stopped uses the right hand inserted into the bell. Muted is like other brass with a cardboard or metal mute inserted. Different sound for different circumstances.

I don't think there are any muted horn patches.

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

But stopped is not muted. Stopped uses the right hand inserted into the bell. Muted is like other brass with a cardboard or metal mute inserted. Different sound for different circumstances.

I don't think there are any muted horn patches.

That's true, buat as soon as you go into details with mutes it becomes a never ending story, if you include legato repetitions and so on. I would also wish more diversity with brass mutes (Plunger, harmon, stopped, ...), at least with basic playing techniques (sustain, staccato, ...). But than again: the wishlist for new sounds is itself a never ending story ...

Fritz.

• Well... we are about to be treated to another piano with over 105000 samples. I don't see how a range of diverse mutes should tax VSL at all! Not having access to a range of mutes given that this is ostensibly the greatest and most extensive sample library ever created seems incredible. Its a pity because I need to use the Ircam solo instruments to get the sound of the mutes I need instead of using my nice VSL. :-( The Ircam trumpet has 7 extended playing techniques and four mutes (cup mute, harmon mute, straight mute and wawa mute). I really wish the VSL team would think about adding on extra features for those of us wishing to work with such important instrumentation tools! I'd be more then happy to pay for these things... perhaps they are just not flashy enough?

• Hi,

please don´t forget that we are still recording every day, and we have done that for more than 8 years now.... there is more to come!

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Well I'm extremely pleased to hear that response Paul!!! J