Myself, another composer i often work with, and his assistant, use a library i developed for the exs24 years ago, using the best samples we could find at the time, a mixture of vsl, miroslav, siedlecek, even some apple jampack as well as our own custom samples and sampler instruments. Its been great but its time to upgrade.
There are many ways of going about this, and we also have a fantastic custom library we may want to incorporate that is in Kontakt 3 format. We are missing many good things, and we are attracted to the VSL route because:
- Kontakt 3 comes with a lot of VSL
- We can integrate our custom library
- We can download individual instruments where we feel we are missing something.
- The Vienna Ensemble uses the same extended memory technique as the EXS (i believe) and can be run as a standalone. In fact it appears you can run several standalones.
However, I am not terribly happy about having both Kontakt and VE open running, simply for the sake of simplicity.
1. Can Vienna instruments run in Kontakt 3?
2. Will the fancy scripting be preserved (such as the intelligent performance analysis in VE)?
3. Can the library that comes with Kontakt 3 be used in VE?
I am highly aware of the issues regarding 32 bit Logic (our DAW) and the memory limitations. Currently I am developing a template in Plogue Bidule for 3rd Party sampled-based plugs such as Kontakt, Ivory, RealGuitar etc. Initially I wanted to run this via Rewire, but i am not discounting using Jack or Soundflower and perhaps another AU host, or VE as a standalone. I am just not wild about having a piecemeal approach, but I want to preserve the possibility of being able to use our custom stuff.