Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,888 users have contributed to 42,370 threads and 255,390 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 2 new post(s) and 78 new user(s).

• RAM and computers

Whats the max RAM vienna can utilize on one computer? Is it better to have two 4GB or one 8GB comp? I have my first film scoring gig and I'd like to purchase VSL SE to run with reaper and an orchestra of 2-2-2-2, 4-3-3-1, strings timp. my existing comp is going to fail, its 1.6ghz dual core and 2gb ram. i might be able to manage with a 3.0ghz 4GB slave?

•  Hello aptmusic,

on Windows 64 bit OS´s, you can utilize as much RAM as available. On OS X, the limitation is currently 2.5-2.8 GB of RAM for each application, so that you can load more than 5 GB of RAM in Vienna Instruments and Vienna Ensemble (they are separate applications).

The Special Edition Full Library will need a little bit more than 4 GB of RAM, if you load EVERY sample....

If you are staying with PC´s, you should definitely look at 64 bit Windows. 

That´s of course the short version - depending on your plans, there are of course a lot of possibilities to tweak your system. 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • for SE Standard and SE Plus? Would it be worth getting a slave?

•  Hello aptmusic,

you were talking about the Special Edition in your first posting. 

The SPECIAL EDITION Full Library takes around 4 GB of RAM, it´s rather unlikely that you load  ALL samples all the time. On the other hand, your OS (and your sequencer, if you are using the VE on your master machine) also take a portion of RAM,and headroom is always good to have. 

The Special Edition PLUS Full Library will add many more samples. All in all you should be fine with 8 GB on a recent Vista 64 or XP 64 system, be it as a slave or a master machine.

Of course there are many possible configurations of computers available, professional assistance will help a lot, in case you are not so much into computers. 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL