Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,161 users have contributed to 42,207 threads and 254,681 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Question about computers for VSL

Hi, I'm new and have a question about computers for VSL. I'm thinking of buying VSL early next year. But before that, I need to buy a new computer since I'm stilling using an old Power PC G4 1GHz Dual Macintosh. I was thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro than a Mac Pro, because its smaller and portable. But the weakness of it is the HDD. I know I won't be going to get enough if I don't install the sample library on an external HDD drive. But I've heard that USB and Firewire HDD aren't fast enough.(They don't transfer data fast enough). Thus, aren't really good for Symphony Orchestra Libraries. I've heard that with a Macbook Pro and external SATA via express card, gave the user clicks and pops (hick ups?) for QLSO Platinum. But I don't know how it will go for VSL. Also, the maximum RAM which could be installed on to a Mac Book Pro would might also be a weak part. So my question is, is VSL useable on a Macbook Pro ? Could it play the whole orchestra in realtime ? If it is possible, what setup should I go with? (what connection should I use. USB? Firewire?) Or should I go with Mac Pro? BTW, my sequencer is Digital Performer. I also plan on buying libraries such as Trilogy and other libraries from Spectrasonics too, and planning on using them with VSL. And I'm really worrying over which Mac to buy, Macbook Pro or a Mac Pro, and want a Macbook Pro for the reasons I wrote above. But doing some research, it might be good for web designing or using Final Cut etc., but for composing a full orchestra with VSL and playing it back all of it in realtime and doing everything on one Mac, I'm beginning to think a Macbook Pro might not be a good decision, and it might be better getting a Mac Pro. Thankyou for reading and any help would be very appreciated :)

• see : http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/20130.aspx
    that will answer quite a lot of your questions
    Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Thank you Cyril. I take a look at the post you mentioned :)

• Hi Floren,

We're on the same boat.
    I will be waiting for the MacWorldExpo (5th-9th January 2009) and see what new computers are announced (hopefully the new Mac Pros and iMacs: check www.macrumors.com for more info) to decide which one to buy to run VSL Special Edition Bundle. According to all the threads and docs I read, it seems that the Mac Pro is what we need. 4Gb RAM seems a little short for the whole orchestra. And the problem with the FW800 bus is that, no matter on how many drives you install VSE, they will still share the same bus. In other words, the bus will limit the amount of data you can transfer to your machine.

If you find any other info on the topic, please, do not hesitate to post some links here.

In the mean time, it would be very useful if more people could post their setup (computer+master keyboard+VSL libraries+DAW) and add a short description on how satisfy they are with it.

By the way, Cyril, thank you for your help!!
    Denis

• Thank you for your response, denis. Looks like Mac Pro will be the way to go. I also heard that new Mac Pro's maybe announced next year and January. I'll wait until January and see. If they aren't announced, I think I'll buy the 2.8GHz Quad x 2 Mac Pro. I can't afford a 3.0GHz or a 3.2GHz because of my budget :( Thanks again for your reply. I will also post something if I find any other information.

• Look at the Apple refurb, I had my 8 core 3 ghz for only 2000 euro

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic