Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,684 users have contributed to 42,180 threads and 254,555 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Special Edition: which instruments/which setup?

Hi, I'm considering buying the Vienna Special Edition complete (ie. including the PLUS and extended libraries). Beforehand I want to make sure this is what I need. I've already read the info available in the products' webpages and various forums, and I hope someone here could clarify a few more things. Given the difference of price between the Special Edition bundle and Super Package, I understand there must be a difference in the instruments themselves. So what difference is there between an instrument (group of instruments) bought as part of the Special Edition bundle and the same instrument bought separately? Different articulations? Where could I find a list of all the articulations? For example, if I buy the Special Edition bundle, do I get the whole Appassionata or Flute Ensemble packages? I obviously understand that the more RAM and CPU power the better. Same thing about the speed of the hard drive. I have read the system requirements. Is it realistic to expect an iMac 3.06Ghz with 4Gb RAM / 1Tb hard drive + Vienna Special Edition bundle + Logic 8 + Sibelius 5 to cope with the creation of scores for TV/game/film projects flawlessly? Should the libraries be installed on the iMac's hard drive or on a dedicated external FW800 drive? OR would you recommend a Mac Pro for such tasks? If so, could you give its detailed specs? I would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Best, Denis

• Hi Denis. I'm not as well qualified as others on the site to advise you on your system needs so can only suggest that you look under PRODUCTS/DVD, click on the menu to the left and check out all the different instruments and articulations under Sample Content...Colin.

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Dennis,

these are a lot of questions!

To start with, you can check out the Sample Content lists available for all VI Collections, right underneath the product picture on the given product page, e.g., Special Edition.

The Special Edition contains the most essential articulations for all instruments included, all in all 75.000 Samples.

For comparison, the Solo Strings alone (4 instruments) contain more than 100.000 Samples.

So the difference is the number of articulations, mostly.

If you get the Special Edition, you get a tiny part of the Appassionata Strings or Flute Ensemble.

Concerning your equipment: It always depends on where you want to go. If you can work economically, I´d say you get far enough with your iMac, but of course a MacPro will be much better, and it´s also easier to upgrade RAM wise. You should keep the sample data on a separate harddrive, in any case. FW 800 sounds good, great performance on these ones.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@denis said:

Is it realistic to expect an iMac 3.06Ghz with 4Gb RAM / 1Tb hard drive + Vienna Special Edition bundle + Logic 8 + Sibelius 5 to cope with the creation of scores for TV/game/film projects flawlessly?
    It will depends how complicated and fast are your scores
    I have a Macpro 8 core 3 ghz 13 GB with a few Sata.
    VSL SE with very complicated scores works great on that.
    It is better to have your libs on a Sata disk, they are faster
    What audio interface will you use ?

cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Thanks for the Sample Content link! For some reason, I always checked the "Special Edition Bundle" description, which doesn't have any sample description.

Alright, so I understand that the iMac option is ok but not ideal. To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the 4Gb RAM limitation and the single internal hard drive. But I'm upgrading my studio and the price difference between a Mac Pro and an iMac is quite something.
    At first, I will be using my MOTU 828. This might get upgraded in time to a sweet Apogee interface. But the computer and orchestral library are first on my list.

I was wondering: do you use the Special Edition Bundle or some extended libraries?
    The computer is one thing, but choosing the right library is another. I've been playing with SO Gold+Pro XP for a few years now and I'm looking for something more versatile (not only talking about the reverb thing), with more options (for example, I love the fact that there are 2 different flutes in the VSL bundle, allowing to carefully select the instruments you want to score for instead of using 2 x 3 flutes ensembles), and expandable.
    I wrote my first film score this year and I intend to keep going. However I'm mostly scoring for TV titles/promos/ads, and I want to make sure that the Special Edition Bundle is the right thing for me (I can always expand it later if necessary, can't I?).
    What about the choirs? Do you also use VSL stuff for that?

• last edited
    last edited

@denis said:

Thanks for the Sample Content link! For some reason, I always checked the "Special Edition Bundle" description, which doesn't have any sample description.

Alright, so I understand that the iMac option is ok but not ideal. To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the 4Gb RAM limitation and the single internal hard drive. But I'm upgrading my studio and the price difference between a Mac Pro and an iMac is quite something.
    At first, I will be using my MOTU 828. This might get upgraded in time to a sweet Apogee interface. But the computer and orchestral library are first on my list.

?

I got my 8 core on Apple's refurb, for 2 000 euro !! it's the 600 mhz bus model but for the price it was a good solution.
    I use the SE + the Appassionata
    I have QLSO choir, but it is very difficult to have a decent result is you use English
    Best
    Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic