Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,053 users have contributed to 42,201 threads and 254,656 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 41 new user(s).

• Vi Ensemble is crashing in Cubase when closing project and load another one

Hey all,

as the title says, when I open a project in Cubase and make use of the VI Ensemble software (still on the latest 2.xx version) everything is working alright, .. but as soon as I close the project and load another one, Cubase crashes.

I found the resolution to always force shut down the VSL demon and the Vienna Ensemble Service window. If I then load a new project everything is working fine. It seems that somehow a little bit of code is still active from the previous project which causes the Ensemble software to crash. Anyone has a hint?

Thanks a lot,

Alex

• I always get this if I close Nuendo or Cubase. if I just close the project and open a new one, then I don't.

DG

•  Thanks DG,

noone else experienced something similar with Cubase 4 and VI Ensemble 2 on MAC OSX 10.5?

• Come on, .... someone else than us two must encounter this problem once in a while. This really gives me headache. Bit of a pain to always close Cubase when using the VSL Ensemble or Instrument and I want to work on another track.

Since I am using the Waves Mercury suite, it is really hardcore to always either seeing Cubase crash and reloading it for around 2 mins or always taking care to force quit the VSL demon tool and the VSL software before relaunching Cubase or loading another project ....

• I experience the same behavour with VI (I almost never use VE). Cubase always crashes after deactivating / closing a project that uses VI. It doesn't matter whether the new project uses VI or not. The crash does not occur immediately after switching but it takes a few minutes upto 10 minutes.

This is why I exit and restart Cubase when I want to switch away from a project that uses VI. I don't kill the VSL deamon so the VI samples remain cached and the other plugins I use load pretty fast so it doesn't take that much extra time.

Sometimes I forget to quit cubase so I have a few crash logs if anybody is interested.

Apart form this crash VI is running stable. Non of my other plugins have this crash.

MBP 2.2 GHz - 4 GB
    OSX 10.5.5
    Cubase 5.4.1
    VI 2.0 build 3238
    VE 2.0 build 3021
    VSL SE
    Saffire LE

• Hey pgm,

thanks for your input! Yes, the VI Ensemble or the Instrument is really running stable. It is just that single crash which is really bothering me.

I wouldn't have any problems with restarting Cubase, problem is I am using all the Waves plugs etc. so Cubase just takes like several minutes to boot up. Every crash is like loosing 5-10 minutes of my working day.

Hopefully VSL will look into that since it seems that it is not a personal computer setup but a general Cubase/VSL problem ...

•  Hey Alex,

I´ll look into this...

Best,

Maya 

• a shot into the blue (well, not really but not thoroughly tested here) .... download and install the latest syncrosoft license control center (remember to reboot before!) - there have been made some improvements in release 5.4.10.6 which probably overcome this issue ....

hth, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I've updated the Syncrosoft software to version 5.4.10.6 (from 5.4.8.8) and have been using the new version for over a month now. No change - the crashes do still occur as before.

• last edited
    last edited

@pgm said:

I've updated the Syncrosoft software to version 5.4.10.6 (from 5.4.8.8) and have been using the new version for over a month now. No change - the crashes do still occur as before.

Yep, same here. You just have to remember never to close Cubendo unless you want to re-scan all your licences again (because you have to kill the vsldaemon to avoid the crashes).

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@pgm said:

I've updated the Syncrosoft software to version 5.4.10.6 (from 5.4.8.8) and have been using the new version for over a month now. No change - the crashes do still occur as before.

Yep, same here. You just have to remember never to close Cubendo unless you want to re-scan all your licences again (because you have to kill the vsldaemon to avoid the crashes).

DG

Hi DG,

I never kill the vsldaemon. To prevent a crash I restart Cubase before I switch to a new project when the previous one used the VI VST. If I don't restart Cubase I get a crash, guaranteed. 

(Useing Cubase 4.5.1 on OSX 10.5.6)

• Now almost one year later...

About a month ago I completely reinstalled (i.e. did not update) my MBP with Snow Leopard. I'm now using Cubase 5.1.1, Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with VI 2.0 Build 4017. I'm happy to report that I have had no VSL related crashes since.

Apart from VI I have the following VST plugins installed: Pianoteq 3.5.2, NI Komplete 4, NI Kore Player and Zebra 2.5.

I'm not using VE so I did not instal it.

Pieter.