Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,053 users have contributed to 42,201 threads and 254,656 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 41 new user(s).

• Special Edition Plus patches don't trigger / Huge spike in CPU processing

Second post, first legitimate one :). I've been messing around with my new editions of VSL SE and Plus for a few school projects.  However, I have noticed an error when playing the aforementioned samples (even with no other instruments instantiated).  No sound is produced, however about a second after the keystroke, one of my dual processing units slams up to 100% usage.  Not really cool.  Anybody else have issues with this particular sample or any known fixes?  I'm a Logic user on a Mac G5, PowerPC chipset.  Thanks.

An example would be:

+01 Solo Strings

+00 Violin Advanced

+ 01B VI detache short

The more I look at this, the more I think I can't use any of my purchased Special Edition Plus samples.  However my key scans for licenses with out failing out.  Confused.

- Matt C.

Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied.  Can't wait to get into the nuts and bolts of this thing.  Oh, and hello everyone!

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Matt, welcome to VSL. I guess it could be a RAM issue - how much do you have in your G5, also what MIDI interface and soundcard do you use? It's probably not a license problem, if it were you wouldn't be able to load the patches. Does the problem happen with all patches?

@MCopeland said:

The more I look at this, the more I think I can't use any of my purchased Special Edition Plus samples.
    Don't worry, there's bound to be a solution!

• Thanks for the response.

I'm pretty sure RAM is not the culprit (I have 2.5 Gigs).  I can confirm that literally every "advanced" or "SE Plus" sample responds in the exactly CPU spike mentioned earlier.  Many of these samples are extremely small (5-10mb) and still create a full CPU load.

Additionally, this occurs outside of Logic in the Vienna Instruments Standalone player.

I checked my License Control Center, and my key correctly registers SE and SE Plus.  Still looking for the answer...

• It sounds as though the Special Edition patches work fine but the SE Plus patches are causing a problem. Did you install SE Plus on a different drive from SE? Presumably you registered the standard and extended libraries of SE Plus?

• Correct.  SE patches work like a charm, while SE Plus patches all create the massive CPU hit and generate no sound.  Both SE and SE Plus samples have been installed on the same hard drive, which has about 40Gb of free space (plenty of cushion).

• I have SE and SE Plus and they both work fine on my system. Could you take a look at the folder where SE Plus is installed and confirm its name and say how many .dat files are in it? Do you have the latest version of the VI player?

• I'm running VI player v2.0 build 3238.

As for the sample folder:

101 SpecialEditionPLUS

There are 56 .dat files in the 101 SpecialEditionPLUS directory.

I appreciate the follow up Conquer.

Additionally, cleared/re-added/scanned each of the appropriate directories in the Directory Manager with no change in results.

• last edited
    last edited

@MCopeland said:

There are 56 .dat files in the 101 SpecialEditionPLUS directory.
    Yep, same here. VSL always advise users to install the latest version of Syncrosoft´s Licence Control Center (v. 5.4.8.13 I believe). Maybe you should try that and if it doesn't help, either do a complete re-install or contact VSL tech support for advice. If you go for a re-install, follow the instructions in the manual verbatim, just in case you overlooked something last time! Good luck.

• Thanks for the advice on the Syncro License update.  That was suggested by an ILIO employee this afternoon as well.

At this point I'm considering a re-install, however my first attempt at installation crashed by hard drive and I'm a little hesitant.  I have sent an email to tech support (about two days ago) but have yet to receive a reply.

Again, thanks for the comments/suggestions.

•  Don't know how I missed it, but I have received a reply from tech support. Thanks guys!  Currently checking my disk permissions and latest software.  We'll see how it goes from here.