Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,889 users have contributed to 42,190 threads and 254,623 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• Fast, doubled repeated notes w/ Special Edition?

Hi everyone, I'm new to VI Special Edition.  I was wondering if there's an easy way to created fast doubled notes in strings (for right now, I suppose it would be the same for other instruments).  Basically, I want to create a fast passage where every tone in the melody is played twice in a row: C C E E G G etc...the articulation I'm looking for is downbow-upbow for each pair.  However, I'm not a good keyboardist so trying to play such a passage in 1/16th notes at, say, 120bpm is too challenging for my poor fingers.   Is there some way to only strike the keys as 1/8th notes and have VSL repeat each key I hit? In other words, I hit the 1/8th notes: C E G, and VSL "fills in" the missing notes to create the 1/16th-note phrase: C C E E G G...basically each note I play gets doubled.  

Appreciate any help I could get.  I only have the basic Special Edition right now, but am willing to get the extended libraries if that will give me this option.

• Hi, the Vienna Instrument doesn't have repeat effects, but if you're using a sequencer you could try the following trick: play the passage as 8th notes, copy the sequence and shift the copy a 16th note along. Playing the original and the copy together will then 'double up' your 8th notes. (You could try slightly reducing the overall velocity of the copy to add a bit of a lilt.) Alternatively, record the passage using two hands with the RH playing staccato 8th notes and the LH echoing the previous RH note a 16th note later and an octave down. Then edit the LH pitches so they play an octave higher, i.e. in the same register as the RH.

•  Can't you just slow the tempo down for this part - play it in  - them resume original tempo?

Rob

•  Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out.