Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,470 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,080 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• But then you can have as many VEs as your computer can handle. Any two core or better machine should be able to handle at least three VEs I think so 48 channels which is good for most orchestral scores.

• Ah of course =) wow - the Vienna Ensemble really makes life that bit easier. Imagine running 48 instances of VI in Sibelius!

• Okay, but does anyone know how to get multiple instances of VE working in Sibelius?  I have seen suggestions in threads here that it can be done, and suggestions that it doesn't work very well.  I haven't been able to get it to work.  If it can be done, can some kind soul please post a step-by-step set of instructions for doing this?  I would certainly appreciate it.

I am using a Mac Pro 8-core, 8 gig RAM, Sibelius 5.1, VSL SE, Logic, etc.

• Hello maavsl.

I have virtually the same configuration as you. I had sent a message to tech support and they responded with the following answer, which worked great. I have copied and pasted the entire exchange below (from most recent to least). Be aware, first try loading multiple instances of VE as an AU plug-in within Sibelius, and then try the stand-alone option if you max out the total RAM of the plug-in.

--Forwarded message-- 

Hello Philip!

Due to limitations in a 32-bit system, it is not possible for a single
    application to load more than 3 GB RAM. Depending on the configuration of
    the system this value may even be lower (in your case about 2 GB). It is
    indeed possible to load additional stand-alone instances of Vienna
    Ensemble, which will allow you to load the same amount of sample data
    additionally. If you want to open more than one instances of VE stand
    alone, you have to copy the Vienna Ensemble application and name it
    differently. The stand alone instances are not recognised from within
    Sibelius. You have to open them from the applications folder.

In order to communicate from Sibelius with stand-alone VE you have to use
    IAC or a different virtual MIDI-port. Be aware that you cannot load the
    sound set if you choose IAC or a hardware MIDI-out. However, there is also
    a way to solve this problem. Open the sound set with the sound set editor
    or a text editor and change the entry PatchLoadMechanism from "Fixed" to
    "MIDI". Save the sound set with a different name. Now you can communicate
    from Sibelius over the IAC-Port with the Stand-alone Vienna Ensemble and
    the modified sound set takes care of the articulation changes.

Best wishes,
    Andreas

> Hello Andreas.
    >
    > Thank you for your message. Sorry if I was not clear. I am able to open
    > 2 instances of the VE plug-in in Sibelius. The problem is that I am not
    > able to load more than about 2 GB total between the two instances. When
    > I try to do so, VE crashes. Is there a way to load more samples into VE
    > without it crashing? If I loaded a third instance of the VE plug-in,
    > would I be able to access more RAM?
    >
    > I have the latest version of VE, from Feb. 4 2008.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Philip
    >

• Philip,

Thank you very much for your response.  I am now able to run two instances of VE through Sibelius (meaning, like you, I can open two instances of VE in Sibelius; I am not using the second VE as a stand-alone).

However, I am now encountering two new problems:  First, in testing playback I get some scratchy noise artifacts which become even more prominent using the Logic reverb plugin.  Second, power panning does not seem to work with the reverb.  I have seen other posts addressing this second issue, but I haven't gotten that ironed out yet.

Any words of wisdom on these issues?

Thanks,

Mark

• Mark,

Regarding the reverb, do you mean the AU MatrixReverb? There is an issue where opening multiple instances of this plug-in causes the scratchy artifacts you describe. I don't think it is possible, unfortunately, to successfully use multiple instances of the AU MatrixReverb plug-in.

Instead of opening the reverb within VE, try opening a single instance in your playback configuration in Sibelius. (in the "Effects" tab under "Master Insert Effects") when you configure your playback devices.

Perhaps this will solve your power panning issue as well?

• Philip,

Thank you again for your response.  I was indeed using two instances of AUMatrixReverb and, as you suggested, that seems to have been the culprit causing the scratchy artifacts.  Unfortunately, however, I am still left with the power-panning problem when using the reverb plugin.  It doesn't matter if I add it in VE or in the effects part of the playback configuration in Sibelius:  add the reverb, power panning doesn't work; remove the reverb, and power panning works.

I'll have to check the community here on this issue, but do you have any suggestions?  What do you use for reverb in your setup?

Thanks again,

Mark

• Mark,

That's interesting. I don't have a chance to check it out right now. If you find out how to resolve the problem, please post your solution. I assume you know that VSL does not respond to MIDI pan messages from Sibelius (but it sounds like that would be a separate issue anyway).

What I actually did for the last project was export audio from Sibelius for each choir separately (winds, brass, strings, perc) with no reverb. Then I brought the resulting audio files into Logic and mixed it there, along with some other tweaks. I used the Space Designer reverb (unfortunately it's not an AU so it's not available in other applications).

I am sure there are others here who have different and better setups and would be curious to know about any of them regarding VSL/VE, Sibelius & Logic.

Philip 

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on