Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Dongle Question re VI on Two Computers

I have a Mac and a PC.

I'm hoping to run this via VST wrapper in Pro Tools on my Mac, but would also like to run it on the PC.

Two questions:

1 How much will the additional hardware key for each computer cost, and...

2 If this program runs in standalone mode, then how do you get more than one instance of it in standalone mode?

Thanks
    Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

2 If this program runs in standalone mode, then how do you get more than one instance of it in standalone mode?

The same way you run multiple VST's in any computer. You simply need a host application like Steinberg V-Stack, Plogue-Bidule, etc. These applications are very easy to install and use.

Lee Blaske

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

The same way you run multiple VST's in any computer. You simply need a host application like Steinberg V-Stack, Plogue-Bidule, etc. These applications are very easy to install and use.

Lee Blaske

Thanks Lee. I've not used VST's before, only RTAS/TDM in PT.

Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

1 How much will the additional hardware key for each computer cost

The dongle price is quoted EUR 19 if you purchase it from bestservice.de and I doubt other dealers are charging significantly more, so settle for the $30 area.

• Hello Tom,

Just to give you a heads up, I posted a similar question in Vienna Symphonic Library thread of the forum and Paul responded by saying that only one license will be authorized per dongle. Therefore, if you would want to place the whole library on both computers that won't work unless you, gulp [[:|]], buy a second license.

Best,
    Kevin

• Gee, that's pretty silly.

I wonder what their logic is...especially since other companies, like Spectrasonics, allow this with no problem. After an investment like this, it seems extremely paranoid.

TH

• you'll have a separate licence for every product, so you can run one on the first comnputer and an other one on the 2nd. So you could run VI Chamber strings on PC 1 and Orchestral Strings I on PC2 and Woodwinds I on PC3 and Brass II on PC4 and so forth. Licences can be transferred from one dongle to another one.
    You can also transfer all the licences back to 1 dongle and run everything on your laptop, while sitting in the train (if you got a 500GB HD for your laptop, that is [H] )

tele

• Nice, but still doesn't make sense.

VSL knows how much horsepower this kind of thing can take, and multiple computers shouldn't cause one to have to purchase the library several times, that's insane. As I said, other software companies don't do this, even DIGIDESIGN doesn't do it, for heaven's sake[;)]

TH

• Not exactly true.

I seem to recall that I've had to purchase every single Digidesign plugin over and over again at full price for each Pro Tools system I have.

Jack

• I have Pro Tools installed on a Mac and a PC, no extra charge.

TH

• You can split the Symphonic Cube on several computers without a problem (owning one license).
    The only restriction is, that you can't use a certain instrument, for example the solocello simultaneous on two different computers at the same time.

best
    Herb

• Gee, I guess Digi gave you an extra free audio interface for that second computer to make it work then since Pro Tools is dongled by one of their many hardware interfaces.

Good deal.

• Herb,

How is that going to work exactly? If we have one license per product, won't it be impossible to have a strings on separate computers?

Thanks,

Kevin

• You get a license for each collection. So you could use the solo strings on computer 1, chamber strings on computer 2, orchestral strings I (violins/violas) on computer 3, and orchestral strings II (cello, basses) on computer 4.

best
    Herb

• Thanks Herb,

I understood that we could license each separate product on different dongles, but I thought you were implying from the last quote:

"The only restriction is, that you can't use a certain instrument, for example the solocello simultaneous on two different computers at the same time."

that we could authorize say, Orchestral strings on both computers, and then only use one instrument at a time.

In any case, for you, what is the ideal computer setup for the
    Vienna instruments?

Best,

Kevin[/quote]

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

You get a license for each collection. So you could use the solo strings on computer 1, chamber strings on computer 2, orchestral strings I (violins/violas) on computer 3, and orchestral strings II (cello, basses) on computer 4.

best
    Herb

Herb, without being argumentative, I'm honestly curious.

Wha† is the rationale behind not allowing users the full install on two computers?

Thanks
    Tom

• You can split differents instruments/collection on different dongles.
    But if it is possible to copy the same instruments on different dongles, than the dongle would loose his sense.

best
    Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

You get a license for each collection. So you could use the solo strings on computer 1, chamber strings on computer 2, orchestral strings I (violins/violas) on computer 3, and orchestral strings II (cello, basses) on computer 4.

best
    Herb

Thanks Herb,

I understood that we could license each separate product on different dongles, but I thought you were implying from the last quote:

"The only restriction is, that you can't use a certain instrument, for example the solocello simultaneous on two different computers at the same time."

that we could authorize say, Orchestral strings on both computers, and then only use one instrument at a time.

In any case, for you, what is the ideal computer setup for the
    Vienna instruments?

Best,

Kevin

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

Herb, without being argumentative, I'm honestly curious.

Wha† is the rationale behind not allowing users the full install on two computers?

I would also imagine that the policy is also intended to prevent a single VSL license from being shared and used by multiple people who should be buying their own copy of the library.

It's a bit of a drawback for me. I've got a Mac G5, using a PT rig with Logic as the front end, and then I have four additional PCs for running samplers and VIs. Some days, I'm doing simpler things, and I don't need to fire up the additional PCs. Currently, I have my first edition VSL library on my PCs, and my pro edition on my Mac. Ideally, I'd like to be able to install the complete library on my Mac, and then split up the various sections individually on my four PCs, and be able to have that all run simultaneously. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do that. It's too bad there is no system to allow the utmost in installation flexibility for working on multiple computers locally. If there was, however, I'm sure there would be facilities with multiple producers who would attempt to share one library while simultaneously working on different projects. If everybody in the world was honest, we wouldn't have to hassle with any of this nonsense. Unfortunately, everyone in the world is not honest.

Lee Blaske

• Lee, yes, you're right, I guess it comes down to that.

I don't have a huge system like yours...just one PC running all the VSL stuff and the Mac running some VI's and Pro Tools. I'd like to have the whole library on both computers just so I don't have to keep remembering where everything is, but I if I split it up I suppose I'll get used to it.

Anyway, can't wait for January[;)]

TH