Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,975 users have contributed to 42,333 threads and 255,216 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 32 new user(s).

• "Media Ventures bass"

Hi!
    Look at this:http://www.pek.ch/Produkte/motu/mx4/motu_mx4_main.html">http://www.pek.ch/Produkte/motu/mx4/motu_mx4_main.html

I have a pc and want synth sounds, digital basses and things like that. What should I buy and do you have anything like that?

The people at media ventures have used this sound in armageddon, the rock. It's mainly the synth bass I'm looking for...

What has to be done to make "it" ?
    The software above is just for mac isn't it? Know any similar to MOTU?

Regards
    AJ

• Check out "Trilogy" it's got tons of good bass sounds. It's both MAS and VST plugin I believe.

Dave Connor

• where can I find "Trilogy"?

• Auden,

Spectrasonics is the company that makes Trilogy. It's available in the USA in many music stores. I imagine it's also available outside the USA.

Perhaps you can do a search.

www.doctoraudio.com (says they ship worldwide)

http://www.soniccontrol.com/tech/midi/articles/090103/trilogy.shtml (review)

Dave Connor

• Hello Audun,

best service is distributing Spectrasonics products in Europe.
    www.bestservice.de

HTH,
    sabine

• Thanks guys!

Is that what plug-ins are? Programs that you can make sounds in? I'm totally off but what are plug-ins?

• Audun

Plugins are software based synths/effects/processors/ that work within programs such as Dig Performer, Logic, Cuebase, and so on. They sit in auxilary tracks generally. They make use of the computer's internal processing power thus eliminating the need for hardware or outboard gear etc. The problem is they can use up a lot of processing which can cause problems. Some people have entire PC's dedicated to host various plugins (the same as an entire PC can be dedicated to Gigastudio.)

You should be fine using something like Trilogy if you aren't using any plugins yet because running one plugin is usually not a problem. Spectrasonics also makes Stylus which is a very good for grooves and beats and Atmosphere for cool pads, so check those out too. Native Instruments makes Absynth which is very good for far out synth sounds. All these are plugins. Ask around for what people are using that you might be interested in.

Dave Connor

• Well what do you use?
    And what plug-in is there avialible to make drum sounds, beats?

An other option instead of purchasing a sample library...

I heard a softsynther in works and it was just terrible! It wasn't real sounds, it was sounds that tried to sound like the real instruments. "look a likes". The complete other direction than vsl.(which is completely real)

Doesn't seem like trilogy works that way though.

• [quote=Audun Jemtland]Well what do you use?
    And what plug-in is there avialible to make drum sounds, beats?

Trilogy from Spectrasonics is specifically for Bass sounds Auden. I use it and I personally think its a great plugin. It can augment your samples.

Spectrasonics also make the plugin Stylus which is for drum sounds. Its very good. I think there is an interesting update to Stylus later in the year so look out for it and try it out.

Dave mentioned Atmosphere. I use that as a plugin and as he said, some great sounds in there. You need a fair amount of ram when using this kind of thing freely.

• Audun,

Paul basically answered your last question. So all I would add is, listen to demos of the product first if you want. Stylus has great beats and sounds great, but it's a very specific sound (which I like) which may not be the realisim you're looking for (if you want very traditional drum sounds.) There are CD's with loops of very natural sounding drum kits. But that takes a little more work to use them. The plugins mentioned (and here's a couple more) are very widely used and highly regarded in the industry.

Trilogy - bass
    Stylus - drum loops
    Atmosphere - synth pads
    Absynth - ambient
    Plex - very far out and programable

DC

• And if I decide to take the other highway?(sample cd's only) no plug-ins.

Do you have any favorites?

Bass and drum sounds. I'm looking for an electric sound. Electric drums....And the media ventures composers are good examples of their use of these sounds in their songs.

Wish Hans Zimmer was my neighboor [:'(]
    Knock knock! you there?

• Audun,

I only have 1 or 2 CD with loops: one is "Liquid Grooves" I don't remember the other, but I never use them because I just started using that kind of thing.

Why don't you start a new thread with a title that will get everyone's attention. Like:What are Good Drum Loop CD's?

You will probably get a lot of responses.

Dave

• Ok, good idea. If I have atmosphere, stylus AND Trilogy on one pc...will it explode?
    Is this too much to ask out of a AMD athlon xp 2800 2 GhZ
    1GhZ RAM(can get more)
    and a maya 44 soundcard?

What do I have to get to make a steady and good setup?

• last edited
    last edited

@Audun Jemtland said:

Ok, good idea. If I have atmosphere, stylus AND Trilogy on one pc...will it explode?
    Is this too much to ask out of a AMD athlon xp 2800 2 GhZ
    1GhZ RAM(can get more)
    and a maya 44 soundcard?

What do I have to get to make a steady and good setup?

Audun,

Are you already checking the Northern Sounds forums?

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php

The forums there are more general, this one is rather focused on the VSL libraries (of course).

I think you will get more and quicker answers on NS about questions like this.

Regards,

Peter Roos
    www.PeterRoos.com

• Just want to say, that there is really no problem if you like to discuss Eric Persings Spectrasonics products here.
    I'm a big fan of Eric,
    I'll try to invite, maybe he gives some exclusive feedback regarding his products here.

Sorry for the disruption,

best
    Herb

• Hehe, btw, I wasn't trying to stop the discussion here, but just advising that NS is also a great place to discuss things like this.

BTW, I just ordered Opus 1 [:D] Yippeeee

Peter
    www.PeterRoos.com

• Peter! I thought you already had vsl?

Well, if anyone has any of spectrasonics trilogy, atmosphere or stylus. Post your computer setups here, if you wouldn't mind...

And another thing, since this is a bit about media ventures. I have made a little theme with a solid guitar as a main instrument on my synthesizer. it's called "solid guitar" on my synth. but I don't think that's the real name for it.
    But if it is, what is a solid guitar? I'm not a guitar player.

Ps:I'ts exactly the same guitar as Hans Zimmer used in "Broken Arrow"

Which sample cd has that "broken arrow" guitar?

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Just want to say, that there is really no problem if you like to discuss Eric Persings Spectrasonics products here. I'm a big fan of Eric, I'll try to invite, maybe he gives some exclusive feedback regarding his products here. Sorry for the disruption, best Herb

No disruption at all Herb. I didn't think this was going to keep going like this but I'm glad it's ok with you.

BTW I just did an ambient/orchestral cue (demo) using VSL (stac/pfp/cresc) mostly in strings and brass with Absynth and Stylus and it really came out well. The combination of wonderful performances of pfp and cresc instruments along with such great sound quality really allow the composer to make musical statements that were once reserved for live orchestra only. The stac instruments are remarkably versatile for both aggressive scale passages and hits (the brass Stac are great!)

Eric Persing is a major talent so it would be great to get feedback from him here.

Dave Connor

P.S. What do you think about a members area where people could upload there latest mp3's that would be seperate from VSL demo area? I think it would generate much interest and sell your product even more - perhaps considerably.

• last edited
    last edited

@Audun Jemtland said:

Ok, good idea. If I have atmosphere, stylus AND Trilogy on one pc...will it explode? Is this too much to ask out of a AMD athlon xp 2800 2 GhZ 1GhZ RAM(can get more) and a maya 44 soundcard? What do I have to get to make a steady and good setup?

That should be fine for hosting plugins. NS is probably a better forum for that. My specialty is orchestral/VSL/Gigastudio.

Dave Connor

• No problems running those three on the same PC at all. If it is usable for VSL its useable for those 3.