Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,470 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,080 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• Paul and William

This is major fun guys. I really enjoy your witty and intelligent posts.
    And the info is great. I have to see "Don't look Now" for sure and William: Pino Donnagio, did he score Dressed to Kill?

Paul - a minimoog going out of tune? Really? And you savaged it with a chair? I and the entire keyboard playing community throughout the universe thank you for this meritorious act and do confer upon you title of "Best Keyboard Player of the Last Century." Not for your playing (which you may deserve as well) but for best representing the hearts of all your fellow practioners. As for this century the title is still up for grabs as GIGASTUDIO and ABSYNTH invite the wrath of so many - so often. Even the most sedate and even keeled gentlemen find themseleve involuntarily vying for this award, as incomprehensible violence wells up within them while another unsaved piece of music crashes into the sea.

Respectfully,

David Patrick Connor the 1st.

• HEHE [:D]

3 things Dave.

Yes. Pino Donnagio scored Dressed to Kill

Absynths sound great and will seriously damage your brain and computer

Mini Moog story would be even funnier if the bloody thing hadn't belonged to me

This is certainly great fun

Thats 4 things!

Wasted

• Paul,

I have only one thing to say.

Dave

• I also think this is interesting.

BTW the score Donnagio wrote for "Blow Out" is probably the best of the de Palma films he scored. Do you agree on that?

Probably not coincidentally, "Blow Out" is de Palma's best film which unfortunately is not saying that much at least based on his later work. "Sisters" and "Blow Out" are really imaginative films, but most of the rest - gag. And of course "Sisters" benefitted from the awesome Herrmann score - what a masterpiece! (Is that a surprise?) He used two analog synthesizers along with brass, woodwinds, glockenspiel, vibraphone, harp. It is an obsessive, disturbing, weirdly beautiful work that shows how he was composing shockingly original things right up to the end. (The very last score was "Taxi Driver" which was just as original and good.)

• William,

Blow Out - was John Travolta in that? Pardon my ignorance.

DC

• While you two guys are lazing around asleep[:P] (time zones, what can you do) a quick mention about Blow Out. There's sometimes confusion because of the title. The idea of the film is obviously a nod by De Palma towards Michaelangelo Antonioni's Blow Up (1966).
    With Blow Out, (your'e right Dave) Travolta does detective work through sound, whereas Hemmings (Blow Up) stumbles onto his detective work through still photographs.
    Donnagios score for Blow Out is very good and reminds me of another composer. I can't remember. Perhaps William could help me out on that.
    Is it from memory a nod towards Herrman? I'm probably wrong.

The score for Blow Up was by Herbie Hancock and fits well with Antonioni's pastiche of London in the 'swinging sixties'. Other music featured in the film is by The Yardbirds that at the time included Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. I particularly remember Hancocks style of jazzy Hammond playing.

This is purely a matter of taste, but I thought De Palma's best film was The Untouchables with a great score. A particular moment of action and scoring in that film is the baby pram on the stairs scene. A wonderful nod in the direction of Sergei Eisensteins Battleship Potemkin of 1925, which of course has no score. That film should (and may well be, for all I know) be used for all budding filmscore writers as an exercise.

I haven't seen Sisters so I will look out for that one with particular regard for the score.

Bernard Herrmans score for Taxi Driver just shows the depth of the best film score writer ever (anyone want to argue the point?). No surprise that in the final credits Scorecese has In Memory of Bernard Herrmann inserted. Class director and a class musician.

Back to work.

• Thanks for the good information Paul.

Herbie Hancock has long been my favorite piano/keyboard guy (I have him right up there with Evan's father.) Hancock's score to Death Wish was very good I thought.

The Untouchables is a favorite score of mine (on that funky groove with the oboe tune alone - Main Title?) Yes it was nice of De Palma to familiarize us all with the baby carriage scene.

It's hard to argue with BH being called the best. I think Goldsmith is by far the most vesatile guy who ever penned a score. Herman is probably the most original (a very original thinker with an extaordinary depth of understanding film.) As for Herman being the best overall composer of the century it's interesting to note his involvement with the work of Charles Ives who is one of the most original voices in music history and would remain ascendent beyond even Mr. Herman in my thinking. Goldsmith gets very high marks for originality as well in many films. On purely musical grounds Alexander North remains my personal favorite.

Dave

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on